This Disappears When Logged In

MegaRay Inquiries

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by kriminaal, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

According to the web site only the EB's are back ordered. All the SB's are available. (I just checked on them ;))

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Good to know.

3. kriminaal

I might be better off getting the Powersun bulbs.
    Since they will probably be too close in distance to use the MVB.

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

How close will the basking spots be to the lamps Mike?

5. kriminaal

I'm trying to arrange the limbs to figure that out. But I need to keep them as high as possible as that's where they feel secure--up high.
    So far it looks like the one will be about 8 inches I would think.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Mike, Powersuns give off the same ammount of heat, and also need to be at a suitable distance from the animal.. if the tank is 4ft. tall, you can still allow 12inches between the lamp and top branch, if you construct a small box on the top to put the lamp in..... so that technically, the lamp will be outside the tank.( hope that makes sense)? The Powersuns are more expensive than the Megarays..

7. kriminaal

Stefan, I thought of keeping the lamps outside, like you suggested.
    I can't fully because of the lack of space between the ceiling and the top of the enclosure. However I agree that it would be best to do so as much as I can.
    I will lose the ability to move the lamps around though.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Mike it`s never as easy as we hope is it? You really don`t need to move the lamps around... remember they have an irradiation area of 30inches circumferance, so put one lamp 15inches in from one side, and the second lamp 15inches fom the other side, that will give you irradiation of 30x60 inches, (your tanks only 4ft.) you will only have a small area at the front and rear of the tank which isn`t covered, so they should get the benefits from the lamps almost anywhere in the enclosure. ...tristis aren`t like the canopy goanna`s, they don`t need to be at the very tops of the trees. They will be perfectly happy in a 4ft. or so high tank, so long as they can climb up, they aren`t going to get a tape-measure out, Michael! ....:)

9. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

And you really don't need to move the lights to change the enclosure. As has been said, the megarays give off UVB in about a 30 inch "cone?"(don't know what else to call it:p) and even if your only intersecting say the outside edge of the "cone" you are still getting good UVB. So actually you could potentially get 2 UVB basking spots out of 1 lamp.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think we`re posting at the same time Steve! It`s true what you say, 30inches is a large area, tristis are only small animals (relatively), so maybe there will be enough for 2 basking-spots....( And you CAN call it a cone, most people won`t have a clue what you mean,though!!!) ( I do, but I`m as silly as you, so it doesn`t count!) :D

11. kriminaal

Yep I get the cone aspect of the coverage.
    Hopefully in the next day or two I can experiment with some 100 watt lamps to see what the temps will be.
    thanks guys

12. kriminaal

Alright, another question on the uvb bulbs.
    Can they be placed on an angle? I've been told there's the issue of it being directed into their eyes. But the sun goes down in the "real world" so it would as well.
    Being able to direct one on an angle would open up more possibilities.

13. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

A Mega Ray bulb can be placed at an angle.

14. kriminaal

Now that I asked that I remember you already telling me Dom.lol
    I was at a show today. Nice day for tour on the bike.
    I picked up a 160 watt for $45. I figured that was a good price.
    Stock must be plentiful in Canada cause there was plenty to be had.

15. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Good deal Mike. $45 is definitely a good price, they are $46.95+shipping on the web site. For that price I would have grabbed a few of them just so I had them around just in case I needed another one ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.