This Disappears When Logged In

MegaRay Inquiries

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by kriminaal, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'm toying with the idea (toying Stefan) of installing MVB into my Monitor habitat.
    I do have issues as to their effectiveness in a large enclosure however.
    Since there will be multiple basking areas throughout. They might not even use the basking areas with the MVB.
    I would need to run a 160 watt to get enough usable distance and heat out of it.

What do you think?

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Mike, I believe it would be beneficial even if they don't sit right under the lamp. Here is a link I got from the megaray web page (also was sent it by Bob Mac himself)

UV Lighting for Reptiles: Mercury Vapour Lamps

It shows that the uvb extends out quite a ways. I also suggest reading the FAQ's on the megaray site, it explains a lot about the lamp.

Hope this helps you a little.

3. kriminaal

Thanks Steve.
    This brings up another point.
    My enclosure will be extremely climbable from any angle or point within.
    They will be able to get closer to the MVB than what is considered safe.

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

If you do the best you can with the distance I don't believe the monitors will get to close. I believe they know when they are getting to much or not enough, also, on the megaray site I believe in 1 of the FAQ's Bob Mac said if you absolutely have to you can go as close as 12 inches from the bulb.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Mike, I`m glad you`re "toying" with the idea of a Megaray, these lamps ( all wattages) give a 30inch diam. area of the UVB at the recommended distances, so good for most set-ups, the way to make certain they use this area is to make it the hot-spot, even a couple of hours daily is still very beneficial, because of the ammount of UVB they emmit.....your tank isn`t too large, I`m even thinking of using another of these in my ornatus tank, purely because he`s so big, even my 275 watt only gets most of his body. I`m also using a 160 w. Powersun at one end, so I will change it for a 2nd. M-R; you just need to check what temps. the 160w. give you.... just use a 150w. incandescent bulb to test..... you might still need a 2-0 fluor. tube as supp. lighting, I`m not sure if you told me the size of the new tank? There`s absolutely no doubt these lamps are the closest thing to natural sunlght on the market!
    P.S. I`ve just seen you mention the animals getting too close.... if you can use something similar to my adjustable light-fitting idea, you can position the lamp in the best/safest spot so they don`t get too near....tell me the length & height of the tank. The closest the 160w. can be is I think, 18inches.

6. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

These are taken directly from the megaray sites FAQ's...

1.My question has to do with the heat aspect of this bulb, specifically, whether the 12" minimum distance [allowed re the UVB aspect] will allow my juvenile bearded dragon to have a 110-115 degree basking spot, which he needs. (He also needs the cool end of the vivarium to be under 85 degrees.) So, any idea what the average temp would be 12" directly under the SB-100, where I would set him up with a basking spot?

Generally speaking, a 100wt incandescent bulb will run a little hotter then our Mega-Ray® watt for watt. How hot the basking area will be at a certain distance is a huge variable. Screen deflects heat as well as UV and visible light. We have seen a 15-degree difference with some screens and no screening at all. I would start at the 12" and then move the bulb up or down to get what you need. But no closer then 10" to the basking spot. Remember to have the screen in place while taking the temperatures under the light so as to be accurate

2.Hi! I have a young adult bearded dragon. In his current habitat he is approximately 4 or 5 inches from the screen top, which is were his basking light is located. I plan to purchase a new habitat shortly where he will be approx. 12 inches from the light. I have been advised by many members of the Pogona group (yahoo) that your lighting is the best in the business. Please advise me of which bulb would be the best for my situation. Thanks

The distance you have now is way too close for any of our Mega-Ray® products because of the amount of UVB they produce. At 10-14" the 100wt SB Mega-Ray® would be the best to use. Please triple check the basking area temperatures before allowing your reptiles to be under them. Put a thermometer right under the bulb at the basking site.

3.We have bearded dragons. I've been using the T-REX 160-watters as their UVB source for heat and UV rays. Their basking spot is approx. 11 inches from the bulb and they have another basking spot as close as 7 inches from the bulb. The one female used to stretch from one basking spot to the other.

We recommend our bulbs be at 18 inches for the 160watt bulbs. Because you have bearded dragons, a distance of 14 may be necessary to get the proper basking area temperatures. But because of the amount of UV that our bulbs produce we don't want to see them any closer. I also highly recommend multiple basking areas if the size of the habitat allows. But I only recommend that one of them has UVB. This allows the reptile to "Photo Regulate" judging how much UVB it needs to manufacture proper vitamin D3 levels.

4.Hey guys, I'm currently building a 48x24x? enclosure for a bearded dragon. I was wondering which Mega-Ray you would recommend for it. Do you have any flood bulbs that I could place in the center of the enclosure so that they would encompass a good area, or should I rather do a basking heat/UV spot with them? And if using the spot, how much heat do the bulbs give off? I have to figure out whether or not to use a separate heat and UV bulb and how high to make the enclosure... Thanks!

My design bulb is a "Narrow Flood" the only of its kind. You should have supplemental lighting to bring the LUX up to that found in nature for Bearded Dragons. We recommend either 55-65K tube lighting or halogen bulbs or metal halide bulbs listed on our product page.

How hot a bulb will be is so dependent on many different factors that only you can answer. Is the bulb outside the habitat (my preference) or inside? Is the habitat open-screen or closed sides and top? Is the habitat insulated? Is it "stacked"? The list goes on.

I like to see two basking areas where size allows, one with UVB and one without. The non-UVB site can be heated by a halogen Flood lamp and a dimmer will help you to regulate the heat at the spot. The second can be with one or our EB Kits with a halogen next to it as the controlled additional heat. The SB lamps will also work very nicely as the UV source and if set at the proper distance can provide the UV and heat all in one.

A simple set up is to have a 3' fluorescent 5000-65K tube and a SB Mega-Ray®. This will provide the additional bright lighting that a BD needs and also give you the light/heat/UVB-A. Which SB, (100 or 160wt) will depend on the variable factors mentioned earlier.

Generally speaking the 100wt SB can be used from 10" to 18" and the 160wt SB can be used from 12" to 20"

Sorry it's such a long post but it should answer some of your distance questions

7. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Oh, and by the way, I use a 160W and at 20 inches my thermometer says it's 96F and my infra-red temp gun says its 104F

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

That`s excellent Steve! ( bet it`s taken you a few months to type all that out (And not one spelling mistake!!). I said it much more succinctly, though!! :p My 275watt only gives a temp. of 95f. at 20inches, I use an infra-red also, to bring the basking temp. to around 110f. (obviously my tanks much bigger!)
    P.S. Mike, the Repti-sun (or similar) 2-0 fluor. tube has a colour temp. of 6200k. very close to natural daylight, but only a very small emmiter of UVB, so excellent as supp. lighting...

9. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Stefan, cut and paste :p

P.S. you were also wrong on the distance of the 160W, it can go as close as 12 inches

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I was just seeing if you knew Steven, that`s all!! :D:D:p
    I NEVER admit to mistakes, and please try and remember that, you cheap, dumb blonde!!! :D

11. kriminaal

Thanks for the info.
    The width is 52 inches and the height is 53 inches.
    I do plan on needing additional heat as well as additional lighting.
    If I keep the MVB towards the middle it might work better to have the basking areas on the tree limbs instead of the rock ledges.
    I do need multiple basking areas as the Tristis do not like to bask together.
    This could though raise the problem of too much heat.

12. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

How many are going in the enclosure? If you only have 2 or 3, instead of adding extra heat you could make more uvb basking area's and the heat from the megaray's would give you your extra heat and some extra light as well.

13. kriminaal

Maybe if MVB's were buy one get two free.

14. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

LOL True, but you will need multiple uvb spots anyway since you say they don't like to bask together and if you only have 1 uvb spot then only the most dominate will get the good uvb.

15. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Move to SA then all your light problems are solved.:p;):D

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

How about 2x100watt instead of one160? that will give the extra basking site.... I think you may have problems ordering from the States, as there`s a waiting list, I believe? Things are never as easy as we hope they`ll be!! I hope you can work something out....I don`t think there will be a problem with too much heat from 2 bulbs, but again, just put 2x 100w. household bulbs to test temps. Good luck as always...

17. kriminaal

Yeah I had checked the reptileUV site and most stuff was backordered.
    I'll have to check some stores around here.
    I think two 100's will work out better.

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If you have problems getting hold of them from the U.S., I know the English distributer will send anywhere in the world... I`ll give you the email address if you need it. ( Very quick delivery) darren@megaray.co.uk

19. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Megaray's are usually on back order since they test all of them again when they get them from the factory. They are well worth the wait tho ;)

20. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

According to the English distributer, there`s up to a 3 month waitng list in the States, but available now in the .U.K...Yes, definitely worth waiting for!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.