This Disappears When Logged In

"Mega Rays" What Do You Think of This????

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by mld, May 12, 2010.

1. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I got a 50 ceramic last week and the basking spot would only go to 90 degree, so I returned it and ordered the 100 ceramic and should be getting it any day now. For the ceramic, they told me I needed to use this "Wire Cage Clamp Lamp" so I got it but doesn't it lose alot of heat with the wire cage,is there any other type???
    Now would you go for the closed top on the enclosure of use a wire screen? or both
    Well if both of your tires are flat I don't think you'd make it across the pond. hehe:)

Did the shallow mounting box come with it? How far away is your basking spot? Can't wait to see the pictures.

2. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

well i am mounting the lights inside the tank. i am using a few of these fixtures and a shallow mounting box

Google Image Result for http://hi.atgimg.com/img/p/71/18012.jpg

i am debating caging the lights in but i have never saw my beardies jump close to 2 feet so ..... not sure if i will or not.

no the mounting box is sold seperately. the fixtures were 8$ each and the mounting boxes were 2.99 each

the box looks like this

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XEQbaTzjz...w/PRiHjGJKR5M/s400/Pancake_Electrical_box.jpg

what i am noticing is that the fixture and mounting box are getting REALLY REALLY hot, so i plan to remove the box and put some permatex high heat silicone(intended for automotive use i beleive) between the box and melamine. i knew it would get hot, but not this hot

ill go snap a picture right now for ya with my phone

heres a few quick pics

sorry about the quality, they are taken with my crackberry

Attached Files:

3. mld

Those are good pictures, and at least you have a crackberry, I don't even have any type of berry.;) Is that the "mega ray" woo, can't wait to get one.

So the permatex silicone will help create a barrier so the melamine doesn't get too hot?? Is that how it works

4. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

yea thats 160w self ballasted mega ray. all of my beardies and my wd have them . nothin but the best for my babies lol

i have actually did a few test by turning off the megaray for a few hours and leaving just a basking bulb on, and as soon as i turn the megaray back on, they are right under it, so just seeing that justifies the cost for me. im not sure how much they are if you order them with shipping but i pay 59.99 at big als. the power suns and solar glows are only 5 bucks cheaper so its a no brainer.

big als here carries them so it is alot easier than ordering them :)

now if they would only order some heat projectors id be set :D

well that is the theory behind it. im not sure if it is going to make a big difference, but definately cant hurt.

oh and as far as my basking spot goes, i have 24" from the face of the bulb to the base of the enclosure, so i have a bit of room to adjust to get the right basking temp.

i noticed you were planning on making your enclosure 24" high but i would recommend going 30" so you can accomodate an elevated basking area.
    if you stick with 24" you will only have 4inches to play with, and keep proper distances.

5. mld

I agree, after reading that it was 6.5" for the bulb,fixture and mounting plate. I guess I will have to adjust to accomidate. Are you going with the fluorescent tube for extra lighting as well

6. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

No need to go closer. The basking spot is at a good temp and he gets his UVB. 12-20 inches is the area where the optimum amount of UVB is produced by the megaray and if your basking spot is the right temp at any distance between those numbers you are OK. This site might help to understand how the mvb's out there work...UV Guide UK - Ultraviolet Light for Reptiles - UVB reptile lighting on test

I did some research a while ago and everyone on the fish forums say it's the GE1 for windows and doors that is the same as aquarium silicone and I also use the GE1 not the GE2. Also, NEVER use the kitchen/bath silicone, it has an anti mold additive that can hurt your herp.

7. mld

Sorry about that, I just thought that the basking temp should be between 100F and 110F. Also if your basking spot is 20" away wouldn't he would have to be there most of the day to get his proper amount of uvb?? I'm new at this stuff so I still have alot of learning to do.

Thanks, I guess GE2 is out.

8. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

i have read the exact opposite about the ge1 and ge2 silicones. well i know for a fact that ge1 will not withstand 100degree temps day in and day out as it will peel.

i beleive it was also this site that recommended ge2 silicone to me for my wds "rock wall"

Well I did some reading and I see what you are saying about the mildew resistance, but every site was referring to use with fish. I couldn't find any sites saying it was harmful to reptiles(not saying your wrong tho)

I use the windows and doors stuff but I'm pretty sure they all have some mildew resistant properties

Well just to be safe I won't recommend using it to others, but I will say that I have used it for a few years without any issues

9. mld

yeh, me to, I found one one site conflicting with this also. One said ge I, and the other said ge II. who knows!!
    There must be a better way to insulate the wood from the lamp and fixture. More reading I guess. :confused:

10. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

No need to be sorry :D For a cwd you want a basking temp of 90-95F (or there abouts, it can go a little higher but no lower). Beardies need the 110F basking spot :)

No, they know when they need the UVB and will come and go as needed for it.

We all continue to learn even if we've kept herps for 20 years ;)

11. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I have Buddy's enclosure in the mid 80's for an ambient and 94F basking (with a room temp of 70F) and my GE1 is doing just great with no peeling or any other issues

If you did then I didn't reply in your thread ;). I always recommend GE1 :)

Fish are more susceptible to toxins than reptiles are so if it won't hurt fish it shouldn't hurt reptiles

kitchen and bath has an extra additive to prevent mold and mildew where as the windows and doors doesn't

I'm not 100% that GE2 isn't safe, I just know that when I was researching for a safe alternative to aquarium silicone (because of the cost for the aquarium stuff) I looked and asked questions on a couple different fish forums and they all recommended the GE1 as being safe for repairs on aquariums (some had used GE2 and the fish died, and these were people that had kept fish for a long time).

12. mld

Isn't that the truth, when you stop learning you stop living.:)

13. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I didn;t feel like reading through the whole thread because I am to work - so if I repeat anything please forgive me.
    I agree that MegaRay is the best UVB bulb out there. However, I would personally recommend going with a self ballasted bulb as they produce both UVB and Heat so you would not need the extra heat bulb. This will save you on your electricity bill, the cost of purchasing 2 replacement bulbs instead of one, and it will save you space in/on the enclosure, eliminating a clutter of 15 different light fixtures.
    For the UVA I am not positive but someone here has probably already said something. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents about the MagaRay. ;)
    If I were closer to you an had more time I'd design and build the cage for you - or at least design it if nothing else. I LOVE projects like that - esp when it is not on my money. ;) haha Good luck!

14. mld

Thanks

In reference to the self ballasted bulb, murrindindi did recommend it as well, and I believe that I will also be using the ceramic heater for night.
    Alaska is not that far, and wouldn't it be nice to come to the Maritimes for a little vacation???? Just kidding, I'm trying to get my husband to help with the electical, heat and light mounting. He's just really busy with work.

15. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

haha I wish I had the time for a vacation! Besides, I have to finish my ig's cage first. ;) :p As for getting the hubby to help, just bribe him.... ;) Food tends to work well for many men, or you can bribe him with (*wink wink*). haha He'll come around. ;) Keep us posted! I want to see pics! :D