This Disappears When Logged In

"Mega Rays" What Do You Think of This????

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by mld, May 12, 2010.

1. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Well I sent an e-mail to this called reptileuv and asked them the following question.

With a bearded dragon enclosure 4'longx2.5'widex2'high. what is
    the best size and type of light for this type of reptile and enclosure,

They replied back with the following e-mail and I would like you guys/gals to read over it and let me know if it sounds about right.
    Michele

John M. Wolff
    reptileuv.com

2. Brennan

Brennan Elite Member

If you are asking if I agree with what was said, then yes that would work but I think there may be a cheaper route to lighting the enclosure. I am sure someone will come along with some experience with the product.

3. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

well this that is almost the exact same size enclosures i am building for my beardies.

are you mounting these lights inside the enclosure?? if so a mega ray bulb and ceramic fixture take up about 6-8 inches, which means it will be hard for you to keep the proper distances.

if you are mounting the lights to the top of the enclosure(hole in the top) you should be fine.

i have just installed my fixtures so i am going to throw a self ballasted 160w mega ray in there tonight after work to see how hot it will get the basking area and let you know.

4. mld

I'm not sure what I should do, I'm new at this stuff. This is one of my summer projects, my bearded dragon is a baby and currently in a 32 gal glass tank, the new one will be made of wood. I guess I need some help with this kind of stuff. Let me know what your doing since were going to be having the same size enclosure, also is your top covered or open, how many vents and where they should go (top/bottom). Any information is welcome. Thanks
    Michele

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi michele,
    I have experience with these lamps, in my opinion, they are the very best on the market at this time with regard to the UVB they emmit (plus heat), I need to know the size of the wooden enclosure you plan to build, in centimeters or inches, (L. W H.)? Thanks!

6. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree with John. He is suggesting the full spectrum light in addition to the UV light because it lets off higher UVA which coupled with the Halogen will make for a very bright tank. The halogen is to be used for heating and lighting. The EB Kits offer much lower amounts of heat than the SB kits which is why the supplemental heat is required.

The combination he is suggesting is Bearded Dragon specific. There are many different combination of lights you could use for your tank. The only light I wouldn't change is the Mega Ray. (Unless you opt to get the SB series instead. It also produces fantastic UVB.)

7. mld

Yes the enclosure will be, 4'x2.5'x2' (48"x30"x24"), oh by the way if your in this part of the world you can come over and help me build this:D
    Thanks

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I can only give you my personal prefernce, so this is how I`d do it, given that they gave you good info at the start: I would go for the 100watt self ballasted Megaray, together with a Reptisun 2-0 fluorescent tube for supplementary lighting, if you need extra heat, add either a ceramic or infrared, the best way to test the wattage you will need for the recommended temp ranges is with normal household bulbs, when that`s been determined, you can order the suitably sized heat lamps. The 100w MR needs to be a minimum of 12 inches from surface of the animal.
    Sorry, I can`t come over to help build it, my bycicle has a puncture, but I don`t know which tyre, because they`re both flat??

9. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

my enclosure(only have 2 semi built out of 4) are 48x24x30 and built from 5x8 melamine. i had all the wood cut at home depot. i could find my cut sheet and scan it for ya if youd like. it takes roughly a sheet and a half to built. melamine is nice because it comes 49"x97" allowing for straitening all edges.

i wont be able to test my megaray in the enclosure today because the glass people are having a hard time getting me the tracking i need. grrrrr

i am mounting my lights inside the enclosure as i will be stacking a few of these unit on top of eachother. that is also why i went with 30" in height.
    i am hoping that my 160 w megarays will work for this application but i have a feeling it will get too hot. i will have to go with a lower wattage in that case, as i have thermostats that need to be added to each enclosure.

there are a few pictures of the basic box i built in the beardy section under the title 1st of 4

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think melamine is a good choice, they don`t need high humidity, so it`s not going to get damp, and it`s very easy to keep clean too, plus you can get a variety of finishes to suit.

11. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

the price of melamine depends on the finish. if you get white, gray or almond it is much cheaper than the wood grain finishes. for me since i am building 4 i went with gray and it was $30 per sheet. white was $25 and the nicer wood grains were $45-$55 a sheet.

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Is that for an 8 x 4 ft. sheet? (cheap)!

13. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

yup 4x8! and they will cut it for you too LOL

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

So one sheet will make the top, bottom and the back, then another sheet (or part-sheet), for the two sides.

15. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I have a 100W SB megaray and it is 20 inches from the basking spot, on a cold day(like today :() the basking spot is around 90F and on a hot day it can get up to 105F.
    Hope that helps you a little in deciding the wattage you'll need :)

16. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

I use reptisun 10.0 bulbs with proheat panels. Change the uvb and the panels last for ever cheapest hands down and you get everything you need.

17. mld

I can get the same sheet for around $20 here so thats great, although I think my husband would rather see wood used. But melamine would be alot less work, no sanding, no sealing, and much cheaper.

18. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

yea i didnt like the idea of melamine at the time, but it grew on me.

no sanding,staining or sealing. all you have to do is glue on the edging and run a bead of ge2 silicone at the seams and your good to go.

i could of got the wood cheaper as well at a umber yard but then i would of had to cut it, and thats a big pain, and the blade needed is REALLY expensive

19. mld

I think that the max distance is 20", so maybe you should bring the basking spot closer??? Min distance is 12"

So this ge2 silicone is that like the aquarium silicone?
    Yes I'm lucky my husband has his man pad, I call it, it's a dream come true for a guy! Plus he works at a hardware store, big plus.;)

20. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

ge2 silicone is not intended for aquariums. it is either for kitchen/bathroom or windows/doors. it is water proof in 3 hours and stands up to extreme temperatures.

i decided to test my 160w megaray in my new enclosure even though i didnt get the glass today. i just sealed off the front with another peice of melamine. i left it on for about 3 hours and it didnt get nearly as hot as i thought it would(which is great for my setup)

after 3 hours the bottom below the light(24" away) was 83degrees which will allow me to add a second light and run it on the thermostats.

the bulb,fixture, and shallow mounting box takes up 6.5"

hopefully my tracking and glass are ready tomorrow and then ill take a few pictures.