This Disappears When Logged In

Mega-Ray - Opinions Needed Please!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Kylie, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Kylie

Kylie Member

Hi all,

I have a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft enclosure for my bearded dragons & am considering getting a mega-ray globe. My boyfriend who is an electrician & pretty close to a genius has concerns regarding the heating capability. Now after doing some research it seems the best way to put the globe is by cutting a hole in the top of the enclosure & mounting the gobe through that, with an aluminium shade around the globe. However my boyfriend thinks that by doing this the heat will escape the enclosure & turn the lampshade into a chimney, making the house hot instead. For all those who have used a mega-ray in the size enclosure I have, can you please tell me where you mount it, whether it heats the enclosure sufficiently, & whether the heat escapes through the hole at the top of the enclosure? All opinions will gratefully be received.

Many thanks,
    Kylie :)

2. MikeTheMonkeyMan

MikeTheMonkeyMan Active Member

Thats similar to where mine is, but mine is on mesh not wood. I put it about 16 in. above the basking area for my iguana with another spotlight. They are plenty warm enough by themselves, my igs shelf is just big. Have you already ordered the bulb? I would like to hear how quickly you recieve it, I have been waiting for months for my new one.

3. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

i would think the fixture should be mounted inside the enclosure. your boyfriend is correct, the heat will leave the enclosure if you cut big holes in the top. the issue is that by mounting iit inside the enclosure you will have trouble getting basking distances correct. 160w needs 18" minimum from bulb to animal minimum. the 100w watt is 12" i believe so that would be easier to accomodate.

i have heard that the newer bulbs are running cooler than the older ones but all of my mega rays are my main basking bulbs and heat the enclosures great.

i use the 160w in my beardies 48x24x30 and it will get the basking spot to 110 after a few hours of being on. i have secondary bulbs set up on thermostats but they rarely kick on except for at night.