This Disappears When Logged In

Mega Ray Help!

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Reed22, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Reed22

Reed22 Elite Member

im trying to decide if a Mega Ray is bulb i should get. around 3 weeks ago i just bought a 5.0 reptisun tube for my iguana, now that i have the money i am thinking of getting a mega ray. i am going to give my reptisun to my skink since she needs a new one, or i could just buy another reptisun and save money. my cage is 4x4x2. i am thinking of the 100w but i will then have to buy a clamp lamp. so if i get the mega ray all my reptile budget will be almost depleted. so should i get a mega ray and give the skink a new reptisun, or save up for some vet trips?

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

What type of clamp lamp are you thinking of?
    Just because I've never seen any that could handle the heat of a 100 watt lamp.
    Usually they are rated at 65 watts and using them constantly doesn't have them last long.

3. Reed22

Reed22 Elite Member

One of the clamps from home depot. A ceramic one. Just like the ones made by exp terra. Zoo med and the other companies. Except at home depot there cheap and they all go way higher than 65. My small one is 75 and the buyer ones are like 160w and up.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Very nice, I've never seen a clamp style. Just the hanging ones.
    Keep in mind though if you get a MVb to keep it upright.

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

The only clamp lamps that we have at our Home Depot are metal hood with plastic socket, Maybe Home depot's are different in different area's!

6. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm surprised they don't carry this up north for you all.

Designers Edge 10.5 in. Brooder Clamp Light - E-240-4PK at The Home Depot

Most of Home Depots here do carry the porcelain clamp light and it states it will hold up to 250 watts...(although I can't imagine putting anything in it even close to that.)
    I think all here are supposed to carry it, but a while back when I went looking for an extra one I had to go to 3 stores before finding another one in stock....(I have one here at my house and an extra one now stays at my school for when I bring one of my animals to work occasionally.)

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I wish! They carry those Brooders clam lamps at the local farm supply but they are huge! I should see if they would order one in!