This Disappears When Logged In

Meet My New G. Polchripes

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by alpine, Oct 17, 2012.

1. alpine

alpine Elite Member

Meet My New G. Pulchripes

This is my new itty bitty Chaco Golden Knee tarantula! I just went and picked him up today. He is SUPER tiny I almost can't believe that the little guy will be a giant when he gets larger. But for now he is my wee little buddy. I just wanted to double check on the feedings for the little guy. The woman who owns the pet shop where I got him is VERY knowledgeable and she explained a lot for me. She had quite a few different options as far as type of tarantula but I felt that I really wanted the chaco since I have spent quite a bit of time researching them and making sure that I understand them as best I can. That being said I am wondering what size of bugs I should get him. Diana gave me 2 small crickets for his next feeding or two and they are just a little smaller than him. In the 3rd and 4th pic you will see him in relation to a q tip that I was using to wipe away the condensation on the side of the deli cup. I purchased him with a full "mini" set up so he has not had to go through any changes at all in terms of his enclosure but when should I feed the little guy? Diana said that she fed him yesterday evening and so I want to know what the next step is, as well I would like to know what else I can feed him at this size to allow for a variation on diet? Thanks guys!

IMG_0307_zpsbdc32bdd.jpg
    IMG_0308_zpsd70cdc20.jpg
    IMG_0309_zps49cf2713.jpg
    IMG_0310_zpsc5d1c6c4.jpg

Lol whoops, put "o" instead of "u" in pulchripes

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ok that is tiny! I had a hard time finding it at first!

3. alpine

alpine Elite Member

believe me, I know that feeling. I had a hard time finding his little butt in there too! Luckily he is not so small that it is IMPOSSIBLE to see him. I'm happy to have him!

4. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Flightless flies.

5. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Also you don't really have to worry about varrying his diet.

6. alpine

alpine Elite Member

alright cool. How would I go about getting said flightless flies into his little cup?

7. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Tongs tongs tongs. And make sure to crush the crickets head so he won't bite the little guy. And there are different opinions on how often to feed a sling. If the pray like flies are tiny one or two a day. Or a cricket every other day to every two days.

8. alpine

alpine Elite Member

alright. can I feed him mini meal worms or are those something to keep away from? :) (thanks for the help!)

9. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Nope. If you make sure to gut load them then mini mealies are fine.

10. alpine

alpine Elite Member

Awesome I will pick some up today. How many should I feed and how often?

11. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

See how many he will take when they're gut loaded. Then feed him that every two days

12. alpine

alpine Elite Member

Thanks tons pharaoh! You have made this so much easier for me. Might I ask how old you think he is? A rough estimate would be nice.

13. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

No problem. He looks like 3rd to 4th instar. Pulchripes grow fast he'll be around two inches in a year. He might burrow because he's a sling so you might want to add a little moss. Have you though of names?? :D

14. alpine

alpine Elite Member

I will add a little moss to make him comfortable. I was thinking Ariadne, the woman that Athena cursed and turned into a spider. As far as boy names... I have NO CLUE!

15. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Oh that's a neat name! Ahaha. Hope it's a girl!

16. alpine

alpine Elite Member

Indeed. Otherwise it will be rather awkward.. I got the mealies have them sitting in a nice mix of veggies. Going to leave them like that for a day and then feed them to the sling. He is hiding out right now, can't see him in the plastic container

17. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

He's probably all comfy having figured out to burrowed in the dirt.

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ok the term sling keeps being thrown around...what is that?

19. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Sling is a term for baby spiders. Like spiderlings. Slings.

20. alpine

alpine Elite Member

This is all very new to me, He is just in his place. When he gets larger I have some variously sized tubs that I can transfer him into as time goes. On. He seems healthy, the woman at the pet store said that he might be going into a molt soon though since his abdomen is rather dark but we will see in the next few weeks. I am really excited even though he is super tiny. They had quite a few different ones including a curly haired that was about 4 times the size of this little guy, but I was in love with the idea of a Chaco so I went for it anyway. I guess I will call this little one Ariadne