This Disappears When Logged In

Meet Monty... His Enclosure is Finally Finished!

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by AjaMichelle, Oct 14, 2011.

1. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

This is Monty, he's a 15 to 20 year old albino Burmese Python that I adopted from someone who couldn't take care of him anymore. Before I got him he had been living in a plastic storage container the size of his body for eight months. He weighed only 30 pounds!

He's gained twelve pounds in the few months I've had him, and has also gotten over a case of scale rot.

His new enclosure is 7 feet long, 3 feet deep, and 2 feet tall (on the inside). It's insulated and steel framed and water proof! I'm using a Pro-products radiant heat panel, and it's working out really well so far.

I think he's about as happy as a snake could be!

He's been active and exploring since I put him in.

Attached Files:

2. CountTripula

CountTripula Elite Member

So beautiful ours is just a baby i wanted an albino but was told no by the fiance because he heard they were more "aggressive".. Love the enclosure btw.

3. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Hey thanks!

I don't think there is a trend with aggression and certain color morphs... Monty has had a reputation for being very agreeable. He had never lashed out at anyone until Sunday when he decided to bite me... but once in 20 years? That's pretty good. :]

4. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

Beautiful snake and I have to agree color has nothing to do with aggression its all on how you treat them

5. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Gorgeous guy, he's lucky to have you! Good to know he's getting much healthier in your care... I can sort of understand if in some cases people can no longer care for their pets for whatever reason, but while they are in their care the owners should at least try their best to accommodate and feed the animals to the best of their ability! Thankfully he's in better hands now :)

6. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I know that the spider morph in ball pythons has the wobbly head due to genetics and breeding, so it might be possible that certain morphs could be more aggressive than others. I doubt that is the case for albino Burmese because they are a common enough mutation in the wild.
    I'm glad you've had such a successful rescue. The big boy definitely looks healthy.

7. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

I think it all depends on the snake its self, the petstore I go to hs two babys in stock. one is very aggressive, not cage aggressive it hates to be picked up but the other one is a sweetheart

thm_phpvFvFpI.jpg

Attached Files:

8. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Thanks! I really like him and am glad I was able to take him in. Looking back, I really don't think I knew what I was in for. He's quite a handful! And he still needs to gain at least twenty pounds. I haven't been able to see his spine and ribs only since the last feeding! Hopefully he'll remain docile, I don't think he was handled much before I got him.

9. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

What's this wobbly head syndrome?

10. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I think sometimes it's called "stargazing". It's when the snake looks up but can't keep its head steady while doing so. A breeder once told me that all spider morphs do this (to varying degrees) because the one they found in the wild did it and it's a genetic mutation. It doesn't seem to affect the snake overmuch, however.

11. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Oh I see! I might be mistaken but Monty does that too. He has a head twitch. I've heard that a lot of Burmese pythons do this.

12. giveuptheghost

giveuptheghost Well-Known Member

Not to worry anyone, but isn't "stargazing" also a potential symptom of Inclusion Body Disease?

13. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Stargazing is a symptom of IBD...

Monty luckily does not have IBD, he has no problem "righting" himself and has had this twitch his entire life. Also, I spoke incorrectly when I said that I thought he was "stargazing," he never just stares off blankly. :)

14. giveuptheghost

giveuptheghost Well-Known Member

Well that's good! From what I've read, IBD sounds pretty awful.

15. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Gosh for sure! I can't imagine. : [