This Disappears When Logged In

Meet Hyperion!

Discussion in 'Pituophis (Pines, Bulls, Gophers)' started by YellowOctopus, Aug 4, 2010.

1. YellowOctopus

YellowOctopus Elite Member

He's a Sonoran gopher snake (Pituophis catenifer affinis). He's 7-8 months old, and I got him on Sunday (8/1). He just ate a hopper today, and is still pretty feisty. I have him on paper towel until I'm sure he's mite-free (and I get paid again, haha). Thought you'd like pictures, and I started the new thread so the pics weren't buried.

Attached Files:

2. lovesreptiles

lovesreptiles Elite Member

thats a really cool snake. how big is he supposed to get?

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

he's pretty cute, thanks for sharing!

4. YellowOctopus

I've read anywhere from 5.5' to 7' or 8'. Since he's a he, I'd guess probably 6'?

And he's so cute! He's been really hissy and puffy and rattle-y, but still mellower than the female she had. He just musked the guy who sold him to me, she bit him twice.

5. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

What a cutie!

6. Orca

Orca Elite Member

He is adorable! From my experience, gophers are FEISTY! Let him acclimated to your home but after that regular handling will be a must to keep him mellow (but, as always, don't handle after he's eaten).

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I don`t know anything about these snakes, but just looking at the eyes, I`m guessing they have quite good eyesight, and use that (as well as the tongue), to catch their prey?

8. YellowOctopus

Orca, I've definitely noticed he's a little spitfire. He's been in his hide since I brought him home (it's right over the under tank heating pad).

Murrindindi, I'd assume so too. I wasn't able to find much info just searching the web on gopher snake physiology and behavior, but once I have a chance at work again, I'll do some digging through journals.

9. mihomi98

mihomi98 Elite Member

He's so cute! I love the first pic :)

10. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

What a looker! I'd look at that kind of snake as a challenge, and a welcome one. Sort of a "you can bite and rattle and get nasty at me all you want, I'm still going to hold you and make sure you know who's boss!" kind of thing. Very very cool dude.

11. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Awww, they're so cute when they try to be mean and nasty! He's a cute one.

12. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Hyperion is just absolutely gorgeous; in the 1st picture he does kind of look like a gopher poking his head out of a hole.
    Congratulations and good luck with the little guy. Thanks for sharing your pictures, you know we love those.:)

13. NILEMonitor1

NILEMonitor1 Banned User

Nice Gopher snake you got there

14. Catherine

Catherine Member

That is one beautiful snake. How is he doing now.