This Disappears When Logged In

Meet Friday

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by Orca, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I hadn't posted anything about getting this new little guy before because I didn't have pictures - I know how you are about pictures! :p He was stressed about new place and shedding so hid all the time. He actually still does hide all the time so I'm hoping he'll come out more when he gets bigger. But now he has shed and has since eaten a f/t pinkie.

So here is Friday :) He is a Honduran milksnake.

PA081748.jpg

PA081745.jpg

Quick question about substrates though. Right now he has newspaper but that gets all warped from misting and drives me nuts. I wanted to use aspen but I have a UTH and don't want him to get burned. Would putting a piece of tile over the UTH work to keep a warm spot to digest and keep him off that part of the glass?

Attached Files:

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

A very pretty little addition! Why not just give him a humid hide with damp sphagnum moss in it? You could keep the newspaper and the humidity. Of course a tile should work- but you might have to silicone it in place so he can't move it around when he gets older.

3. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I could do that. And that would be more cost efficient at the moment. I know I've got an extra container to make a hide out of somewhere. Would eco earth work too? I have a huge bag of that left over from the crested geckos (I'd sterilize the h*ll out of it to be sure).

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I am sure it would work- or you could use damp paper towels in place of the moss.

5. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Beautiful! Good thinking' with the pics- that snake looks like Halloween!

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I use UTH on most of my smaller snakes, And I use aspen.
    If you think the heater is too warm, simply put it on a rheo or thermostat and adjust it down.

7. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

BEAUTIFUL snake! :D I love the coloring - and he has very smooth lines too! Definitely a Halloween baby. ;) Congrats! Feel free to send him my way if you ever get tired of him ;) haha

8. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

He's got beautiful coloring.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

What a cutie!

I would think A piece of tile would work. Just be sure to check the tile itself isn't getting too warm, and there is no way for that cute little guy to get under that.

My mystery snake is supposedly half honduran milk, half florida king.

10. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I'll have to check out how much it would cost for one of those with my discount. Heat has been turned on in the house so money for that is making things tighter. Right now with a few layers of newspaper I get the right temperature. I'll eventually get that I think because I like the look of aspen better.

That is why his name is Friday. I thought it was a cute, Halloween-type name :)

Thanks. He had the smoothest lines of all the males there. He is also het for a couple different morphs (hypo and anery) but I don't plan on breeding him.
    P.S. I won't get sick of him :p

Mystery snake? Did I miss that thread?

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Look at it this way,...if the heater is only running as much as you need it rather than on full blow all the time it will be saving you money on your electric bill!

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

He was sold to me as a Jurassic milk snake. I have not been able to find any reliable information on what he actually is.

Attached Files:

13. WhyteRabbit

WhyteRabbit Member

Hello there! Congrats on your new addition! I know many people keep their Hondos on aspen, but I had problems with bad sheds when I used it. Currently I have undertank heat pads (not attached to the glass) on a rheostat with a nice thick layer of "Forest Floor" cypress mulch bedding. It adds just enough moisture without overdoing it. The first day I put Bates in the tank, he looked like a seamonster diving through waves... could have sworn I heard a little "weee!" I add in some damp moss in the corner as an additional hide spot, and when he's shedding I place a magazine over the screen cover to keep the moisture in a bit. Haven't had to mist ever & perfect sheds since. Hope this helps some! Enjoy!

Attached Files:

14. kaitala

kaitala Active Member

He is an absolutely beautiful baby!!! Congrats!

I don't know how much you're looking at paying for an "official reptile rheostat", (lol, because they're a brand name, they must be official!") but for about $10 you can get a "table top dimmer" at Home Depot/Lowes. It is a rheostat, as well. Then, instead of getting an "official reptile tank thermometer", go over to the garden center, and get a $6 indoor/outdoor thermometer with a probe. Also available there, Orchid Bark. Larger and chunkier than Reptibark, but the same ingredient at a fraction of the price.

Plug your heat pad into the rheostat, and turn it on, (there is an off setting for them), just barely. Add the bark substrate (absorbs/releases moisture without being yucky), and the thermometer. Make sure to check on everything often, and bump the slider on the dimmer up a little at a time. Oh, and make sure the display on the thermometer is set to read the "outside" temp, that's the one for the probe!

Remember, a rheostat (official or UNofficial) doesn't operate on temperature, it only limits the power to the item plugged into it. Therefore, if your mat is (for example and round figures) set to add 10 degrees of heat because you've limited the power to that, it will add that heat NO MATTER WHAT. If you have a bunch of people over or your heater goes wonky and the ambient temp in the house goes from 70 to 80, you'll still be adding 10 degrees. So the cage temp will heat rise from 80 to 90. If your heater goes wonky or quits altogether, and the room temp drops to 40, you'll still only be adding 10 degrees, so the cage temp will drop from 70 to 50.

I know the above is an oversimplification of a rheostat. just wanted to put an illustrative example out there, as I' was confused about the difference between thermo and rheostats at first, and when I googled it, I had to sift through electrical jargon and such. :)

Best of luck with everything!!!

15. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member