This Disappears When Logged In

Mediterranean House Gecko Help

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by azi.iza, Jul 30, 2017.

1. azi.iza

azi.iza New Member

Hey everyone!
    My husband and I found what we thought was a baby Leopard Gecko yesterday in our apartment building. We're now thinking she is a Mediterranean House Gecko, now named Kelly. She's only about 1 1/2" long, including the tail. We immediately went out a got an enclosure for Kelly but we were misinformed by the pet store employee and ended up having to go back to get the appropriate substrate, vitamins, food, etc.

Little Kelly seems to be doing well except we haven't seen her eat. We have the flightless fruit flies and mini mealworms, but there is no interest. I've been reading non-stop trying to provide everything that's needed, and I came across an article that said baby geckos have a yolk sac that they get their nutrients from during the first few days of their life. I have no idea how old Kelly is and was hoping to get some help/advice to try and get her to eat. Also, we switch gender pronouns because we have no idea of the sex.

We're moving her to a 10 gallon terrarium setup on Monday. She is currently in a 5 gallon tank with coconut husk substrate, paper towels underneath, a small water bowl, and small food dish, and a homemade hut. We have a 60w heating bulb and a 25w bulb for heat and light. The bulbs have been placed a little further away just to make sure we don't overheat the tank. I've been checking on her constantly and making sure that the tank is humid enough.
    Should we remove the fruit flies that she's not eating? I just worry that they could cause some harm. She's getting more and more comfortable with a human presence, which is exciting. Anyways, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Iza and Kelly

Attached Files:

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

The fruit flies should be fine to leave in if they aren't eaten however I simply wouldn't introduce as many if she doesn't eat them right away. It is possible she's eating and you're just not seeing it.
    I suggest gently misting one side of the cage to provide water for the little one, they won't always drink from bowls. A smaller hiding area will benefit the gecko and help it feel more safe. Something like a small piece of bark leaned almost flat against the side of the cage would do.
    Keep offering food. Try adding a few tiny mealworms or some fruit flies around dusk when the gecko is more active.

azi.iza likes this.
  3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

I agree with qwerty. I would also add trying a different feeder. I recommend buying one or two very small crickets and see what she does.

Since its a house gecko wouldn't it be better to keep her in her natural environment of carpet and dirty laundry? And maybe a couch cushion and a mug of coffee with the morning newspaper. (Sorry lame joke!)

azi.iza likes this.
  4. azi.iza

azi.iza New Member

Thanks for the responses! I've been misting the sides of the tank a couple times a day. I'm a little worried about the temperature though because Kelly seems to prefer one side of the tank regardless of what time it is. It gets a little too cool at night but she doesn't stay under the heating lamp. I'm going to need to go out and get a blue bulb so that she can stay warm and be happy in the dark. What is common practice for heating and light at night?

Kelly is being incredibly active, even when I'm in the room. I've been talking to her a few times a day and it looks like it's working. She's been handled a couple of times when we were fixing the tank and when we were moving her. While she didn't try to run anywhere, she wasn't exactly comfortable. We'd love to be able to handle her regularly when she gets older. Any advice on that front?

Thanks again!

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

First off you need to know exactly what your temperatures are. Go to Lowe's etc and get a good digital thermometer. About 12-15 bucks.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  6. azi.iza

azi.iza New Member

I forgot to put in the original post that we do have a thermostat and a humidity gauge. I'm curious about what type of bulb to use at night. Should I use a blue bulb or a red bulb?

Thanks

7. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

What kind of gauge? The analog gauges don't work well at all.
    Like Merlin said it's important to get proper readings on temperature but I would skip the night heat altogether personally unless it gets exceedingly cold. House geckos are good at surviving indoors (like your building). Has she eaten for you yet?

8. azi.iza

azi.iza New Member

We have digital gauges for both heat and humidity. And she does seem to have eaten! I only put 2-3 fruit flies in there with her, but still no interest in the mealworms.

My only concern with not using a heat lamp is that it drops to about 62 at night. I left it off last night for a little while, but I was a little nervous so I turned it back on. When I checked on her this morning she was active and her color looked a lot better!

Thanks for the quick responses!

9. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

If you need to use night heat infrared works better. by blue I'm assuming you are referring to those nighttime blue/purple lights, if its a day blue that definitely won't work. You could also use ceramic heat emitters (they last alot longer)