This Disappears When Logged In

Mealworms for My African Fat Tail Gecko?

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by AquaaAllure, Aug 6, 2013.

1. AquaaAllure

AquaaAllure New Member

Hi! :) I'm planning on getting am AFT in the upcoming reptile expo. Hopefully there will be AFTs.. My concern are the mealworms. Of course I don't want them to turn into beetles, so how can I take of them in the fridge? Do I gut load them 24 hours before being placed in the fridge? Also ot will be a baby so I will be feeding her/him everyday. Is it best just not to keep them in the fridge? i really can not stand beetles. Worms sure. But not beetles..

2. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

For mealworms, I just keep mine permanently on a bed of oats, bran, and wheat germ, with carrots and potatoes for hydration. They can last a VERY long time without morphing into beetles, and this ensures they are well gutloaded and nutritious. That being said, if it's the beetles you fear, simply throw them out once they pupate. To change from pupae form to beetle form takes about a week to two weeks, so you will have plenty of notice.

The problem with keeping them in the fridge without gutloading them is that you are essentially feeding an empty shell, devoid of nutrition. If you would prefer to keep them in the fridge, they need to be removed and gutloaded at least 24 hours prior to being offered to your gecko.

I would only invest in a small number of mealworms initially. While some Fat-Tail geckos will eat mealworms, I find that many more will not touch them, instead opting for crickets only.

3. thinkbig317

thinkbig317 Elite Member

I agree w/ Cassicat4. I do the same thing w/ my meal worms. However I own a fat tail she absolutlely refuses to eat meal worms for some reason. She only eats crickets. I've tried wax worms, horn worms, super worms.......nothing! Only crickets.......

4. AquaaAllure

AquaaAllure New Member

Thank You so much ! That was a lot of help :)
    Hopefully my AFT will want mealworms.. Crossing fingers ):