This Disappears When Logged In

Mealworms For African Fat Tail

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by BenderTheSkink, Sep 18, 2017.

1. BenderTheSkink

BenderTheSkink New Member

I've been planning to get an African fat tail, but I don't really want to keep crickets to feed him. Can he live on a diet of just calcium dusted mealworms, would I have to throw in three or four crickets once ever like month or so, if he only needed the crickets for vitamins is there a vitamin supplement I could feed/sprinkle on the mealworms, or can he only eat crickets and just have mealworms as a treat? Also, if I do feed him mealworms how much and how often do I need to feed him them?

-Thanks!

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Imo mealworms don't make a great staple, but if you want to use them just make sure you have a good variety of feeders. Not just crickets and mealworms.
    The vitamin supplements are great, but unfortunately usually can't account for the full nutritional needs of reptiles, the only way to avoid this is a good varied diet like I mentioned.
    How much and how often depends on the size of your fat tail, and the size of the food item offered. A well supported animal will eat more than you would expect. When very young they may eat every day, Just feed them as much as they can eat in a short amount of time, like a few minutes, and if they start to slow down and get full, stop feeding. When they grow older, you will need to portion your food for your animal to remain a healthy weight.

3. BenderTheSkink

Do you know if there is any low maintenance, no noise, and easy to feed (to my reptile) insect I could just keep in my house to use basically like a staple? (and I would go to my local reptile store and pick up some other insects like crickets or other healthy insects and throw it in his enclosure every once in a while)

4. AmityReptiles

Dubia roaches are really good... best in my opinion. Easier to keep than crickets and completely silent. Very very nutritious if you feed them a good diet. Superior to most feeders in every way.

5. BenderTheSkink

Thank you very much and that sounds perfect since they don't make any sound and seem to be easy to take care of, although I couldn't stand to keep roaches :(. Is there a second best to that, that is not a cricket? And thank you so much for helping me.

6. AmityReptiles

Maybe silkworms? Maybe alittle harder to keep though. I'm still figuring them out, trying to start them in a colony (or whatever you call it.) And they only eat mulberry leaves or mulberry chow.
    As far as the roaches go...
    I just call the roaches "beetles"... seems to help in my mind. They don't smell, and they eat veggies. It's really not that bad, crickets are alot worse.