This Disappears When Logged In

Mealworms and Superworm Question

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by TigerIvy, Jun 28, 2013.

1. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Ok few basic questions. I will keep it simple and these are about both (they are not housed together!)

Can I just keep them in a 20L as worms, then move them into a sweater box as beetles? I have about 10 20L tanks.

What else can I feed them other then carrots, potatoes and greens? I tried zucchini yesterday and that went poof without 8 hours. What can't they eat other then the obvious things that are dangerous to reptiles.

How much do I honestly need to feed them? they seriously seem to eat everything I put in there at a high rate of speed. Like within the past 2 days the mealworms have gone through 3 full size carrots, a potato, quarter a zucchini and some greens. Superworms went through 2 full size carrots, a half a potato, some hunks of zucchini and some greens.

How many can I safely keep in a container? Right now the containers are 24 inches x 12 inches and mealworms I have about 1300 in it and about 400 superworms in another.

How hot is too hot for them? I have them near my dubia colonies and that corner stays about 85-88 degrees all the time.

2. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

Yes they can be kept in the 20L without problems. Keep the top off or fine mesh screen to avoid humidity and heat buildup. Room temp is best. At the temps you have, you are forcing them to grow (and eat) at a higher rate than needed. That's great if you're trying to grow your colonies, but requires more food and maintenance than if they were cooler.

They can eat any foods on the safe-for-reptiles list for nutrients and moisture. They eat the oats, bran, etc. for their primary food.

If you notice collections of worms always on top, it means you have too many in there or not deep enough substrate. Your numbers are fine for 20L, and probably okay for the containers you have now. Superworms may need to be split if they're full size so that they have some room not bumping into each other all of the time.

Personally I sustain life in the colonies (carrots and potatoes only for veg) and then pull out roughly a weeks worth and gutload them in a large cricket keeper with high nutrition items to feed reptiles from. Any leftovers at the end of the week, I dump back in the big colonies and start over. It saves me from gutloading a whole colony for the 50-100 worms I get out a week. I do the same with roaches as well.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I can't speak to superworms as I have never used them but mealworms really don't have to be separated. I have kept them with all three stages in one container. And your temperatures are fine. My reptile room gets quite warm in summer and the worms had no problem with it.
    What are you using for bedding in the mealies? I use wheat bran from a feed store.

4. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

I am using corn meal right now, I want to change over to wheat bran from the co op but I have to actually get up there to get it I suppose. I thought my mealworms had gone retarded but I guess some are pupating into beetles. Can beardies eat the beetles I wonder? And I did figure out they like sweet potatoes too.

5. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

If your dragon will eat the beetles, it's fine. I feed them to my croc skinks and used to feed them to my water dragon, and they all seem(ed) happy with them. They do release a musk of sorts when threatened though, so I find some lizards won't touch them.

6. DragonsKeepers

They can eat beetles, but beetles don't have as much moisture as the worms (I use them occasionally just to mix in and give a crunchy variety).

Cornmeal is okay mixed in, but wheat or oats are better is only using one type. I don't remember if it's the sugar levels or something else in the corn...

7. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Well it appears alot of my mealworms have turned into pupae....And I have a (as in one) beetle lol. Well I did have I don't know where it went. I might move then into a taller container tomorrow. I have a 20L I can put them in. that would work.

8. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

The beetles don't have a lot of nourishment in them from what I read. Mostly moisture unless its a ripe female. not to mention tons of chitin. Corn really isn't known to be that nutritious either that's why its commonly used as a filler in other foods.. Now I have a tub with a large layer of oats just waiting for something to start wiggling. Im getting anxious. evidently I have been having quite a few escapees from my little drawer system for the worms. I found several pupae in the surrounding area and some skins. On the up side.. If you look at it this way... I also have been finding house geckos around the house. hmm Looks like im gonna have to cover them up . Im not running an all you can eat buffet here! good thing plastic tubs are so cheap! a lot fewer house bugs too! ha ha ha im starting to look more fondly at the car port as a room to enclose and turn into my reptile room! hahahaha.

9. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

May..two words for you? Glue Gun

The handy dandy all around most awesome 7 bucks you will ever spend! HAHA I never cease to amaze myself at what all I use mine for seriously.

I gave up on the mealworms totally - gave them to my ex husband because he has Leo's and duh - he can use them. The super worms are making alphabet soup right now. Well o and c e anyhow hahaha. So we shall see how that goes. Oh and they love the roach burger. The super worms I mean. Was easy to use for sure. Doesn't smell as bad as silkworm chow though.

10. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

I got worms crawling in all three bins. I just started a fourth bin with the new ground up oats.. easier sifting... But its falling through the bottom screen I had on it because well. I was attempting a drop through breeding bin.. When I pulled the oats from the bin with the beetles in it.. it already had wigglers. whoa... it hasn't been two weeks. oh great. Now im actually breeding too fast. lol. hmm now im thinking about freezing or canning them! Just kidding. totally just kidding. wonder If my vet would want any.. hmmmm.

11. DragonsKeepers

I put extras out for birds to eat

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

to slow the breeding down, put your bins in the refrigerator.