This Disappears When Logged In

McConley Herp Family Members

Discussion in 'Herp Photos' started by David McConley, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

a coffee and some eye of newt please. And make that decaf.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No decaf for ME!
    Only REAL coffee!

3. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Glad to hear it :D

What kind of wizard would you be if you drank decaf!!

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

beautiful burms! Can't wait till I have space for one. I keep telling myself patience is a virtue.

5. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Dragoness, Thank you for the compliment on the burms. I took them and some other snakes to the daycare my church operates and of course the burms stole the show, especially the normal male. The children were terrified at first but then after I told them about my babies, they all wanted to pet him. Of course he was a perfect gentleman (I held his head away from the kids) and several children got pictures taken by the staff of the daycare. Since I got them I have not regretted a single moment.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I plan to adopt one from the rescues, which are very much overrun with unwanted impulse-bought burms. Once I'm in a house. I'm glad your burms get around - actually meeting snakes can help people overcome socially ingrained phobia.

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Too bad you don't live close. I need someone to help my husband get over his fear.

8. David McConley

Schlegelbagel, if you are ever in NC I live just off of I-95 I would be glad to let your husband check them out. They really are very calm, I think they are grateful for being given a better living condition.

Dragoness, adopting from a rescue is a very commendable idea. Just be sure that you get a detailed history on the animal if possible, I'm sure you already knew that but I rescue reptiles and all too often it is through a third party who means well but just doesn't have a clue about the animal in question. Good luck finding your dream burm or burms.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I think one is enough - I'd prefer an albino, but in the end, I'll house whatever is available. It'll have it's own room, burm-proofed, to stretch out and retire in.

10. David McConley

Spoken like a true future burm mommy. Good luck with your future quest. I know you will make some needy burm a great parent.

11. Maya

Maya Elite Member

Wow! beautiful family. I am glad I found this thread. You should open up a little snake zoo, at least for the local communities. Don't the Burms get really large? I remember the wild ones in Bombay, everytime we had a storm, they would come out on to the asphalt roads, sometimes they got run over by trucks. I think they fed on monkies.

12. David McConley

The burms can get large- most average about 15-18 feet but they can get larger. I do take my snakes out to certain places and give informational talks about them- I believe that knowledge is power and if you take away the mystery and fear then you can show someone the BEAUTY of the animal and they may not wawnt to chop it into tiny little pieces.

13. Maya

Maya Elite Member

Ophidiophobia apparently is very common. 80% of the people I associate with think I am pretty strange.

14. David McConley

Probably 95% of the people I know (with the exception of the fine folks on here) think I am pretty strange also, but I live my life for me and my family so I don't care what the "sane" majority thinks about me. I'm the one they call when they need a snake removed from their yard or house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.