This Disappears When Logged In

Mazuri Tortoise Diet?

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by model700, Jan 22, 2013.

1. model700

model700 Well-Known Member

I just got a 25 lb bag of mazuri tortoise diet. it will be the primary food that I feed my leopard tortoise now but I don't know how good it actually is. I will also feed my leopard tortoise greens on the weekend when I have time to get some. my question is that can I feed my tortoise primarily the tortoise diet and also how can I prevent pyramiding in the shell?

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Pyramiding is usually attributed to improper diet and/or lack of hydration. So make sure the cage is at the proper humidity levels(sorry I don't know what it is supposed to be for a Leo) and soak for 20minutes in a warm shallow bath-daily for babies and adults can be done once a week.
    As far as mazuri lots of people feed it exclusively. I don't as all my torts don't like it yet but I do crush it up ontop of their salads.

3. model700

model700 Well-Known Member

has anyone experienced pyramiding from this diet?

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Not that I have heard of.

5. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member

Both of the zoos I worked at fed Mazuri, along with herp salad to all of their tortoises and some of the turtles . Tortoise chow was fed only three times per week. The daily diet was greens and hay.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013