This Disappears When Logged In

Maybe Getting a Brazilian Rainbow Boa in a Few Months!

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Melissa747, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

Okay so I will be moving in a few months and my boyfriend is going to build a mega reptile rack. (Photos will be available soon) We are housing about 10 reptiles most of which are relatively small.

I would like to potentially add a Brazilian Rainbow Boa. Is there anything I should know about these guys before getting one? Health, diet.. ect?

The rack will consist of mainly snakes (sand boas) their enclosure will certainly be big enough and if I decide to get this boa I will make sure his/her is of the appropriate size.

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

They have very strict humidity requirements. I don't know anything about sand boas but I would be worried about humidity, if you kept all of them in same rack and other snakes need lower humidity, would that be an issue? Maybe something someone can answer for you.

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I looked at a care sheet for sand boas also, the temps required are very different. It said they have to have little humidity.

(These are approximate) BRB need around 70% humidity. Temps hot:90 degrees cool: 80 degrees. They eat rodents, and get appx 6 ft long.

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

It would work in your rack if you can make a large bin for him and have it's own heat sorce. Might be easier to make a rack just form the rainbow. Rember to quarantine any new snakes away from your current snakes for atleast 4 weeks. There is always a chance the newbie could bring something into your home, mites, RI's etc.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

If your rack is going to be wired to run with set temps and humidity the same in all enclosures, you would be ill-advised to add your BRB to this rack, as their humidity and temperature requirements are drastically different.

as stated, a BRB needs ambient around 80ºF, Basking around 90ºF and humidity above 70%. Substrate of some type (I use coco husk) helps maintain the humidity, without allowing for standing water, and discourages mold growth.

I would aim for a footprint of at least 8 sq ft. (2'x4' is what I keep mine in.)

and you don't want any new snake on a rack with other snakes, even of the same species, until it has been through quarantine.

6. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

Ahh, alright. Thank ya! If I decide to get one I'll put him/her in his own tank.

7. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

i have a brazilian rainbow boa and my little girl is pretty easy to care for once you get the hang of it, if you decide to get a glass tank get a 20 gal long its really good for snakes who need alot of humidity and a good substrate to use is cypress mulch it holds moisture pretty good an pretty resistant to mold good luck hope this was helpful :)