This Disappears When Logged In

massive slugs and shiny beetles

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by furryscaly, Jul 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Along with black widows, I've also recently caught a meadow spider of some type, two metallic green scarab beetles of some species, and two humongous slugs.

The meadow spider is still in need of a name. She's similar in appearance to the widows, only she's tan, not shiny, and her belly markings are black and yellow rather than red. She's not related though.
    [​IMG]

These two slugs are the biggest I've ever seen in person. They're a different species than the little 2 inchers I'm used to seeing. These guys are 4.5 inches long, and their color and pattern remind me of a clouded leopard. I therefore named them after the cat, one is Neofelis, and the other is Nebulosa, after the genus and species of the clouded leopard.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of a clouded leopard, so you can see what I mean:
    http://www.rainforestlive.org.uk/media/Images/CLOUDED LEOPARD jeremy holden FFI.jpg

Here's one of two scarabs I caught. Jewel beetles and dung beetles are also scarabs. These two are about 1.25 inches long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Well havent you been a busy body, lol. ok, The spider and the beetles I can do, but the slugs...eewwww. hee hee. Why not name your spider Meadow..or Venus... :p

3. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

lol, I think slugs are cute lookin :p With their beady eyes on those stalks, and the way they just slime around, they look like little martians or something. Easy to feed on a veggie diet too.

Hmm, perhaps I'll name her Meadow :) Venus is a prettier name, more suitable for another widow, should I catch one. I intend to look for more. The scarabs I'll keep alive as long as I can, but I'll pin them in my insect collection when they're gone. I prefer that method rather than just killing them.

4. venus

venus Founding Member

Sounds like a plan to me...and about those slugs..eewww

5. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

interesting creatures you have there. i think the slugs are kind of neat looking even though i don't like them that pattern and color is really cool. :)

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I let them crawl on my hand yesterday. Looked like I sneezed something aweful though :D Then I fed them some grapes. Nebulosa devoured one, but Neofelis was more ionterseted in crawling back to my hand :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.