This Disappears When Logged In

Marmoleum??

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Frognut, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Anyone heard of this? The person I'm working with to build my coffee tank table is planning on using Marmoleum for the floor of the tank.

I understand its a variety of linoleum, but do you think it's a good idea for the floor of a blue tongued skink? From what I read it would be better than just the wood bottom (sealed of course) since the substrate would be slightly moist.

And it sounds like it would be easier to clean.

Just wondering if anyone has heard of it - or used it?

Thanks!

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Frognut, I just looked it up, it`s just a type of linoleum as you say, laminated onto HDF (high density fibreboard), I`m guessing quite expensive, perhaps just as good to use the normal vinyl stick-on tiles, or the ceramic floor/wall tiles.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I had never heard of it either but the site says that the binder for it is linseed oil mixed with pine resin.
    That in itself would make me question its use.
    I think that I would stick to regular lineoleum or tile.

4. Frognut

I'll have to ask him about it withstanding high temperatures. He chose Marmoleum because its a more 'natural' product and thought it would be better for my purpose. I'm all for products that are better for the environment - but not at the risk of my skink.

The cost doesn't make any difference to my cost of the enclosure - I just want a good and SAFE product. Isn't pine one of the woods we are supposed to stay away from? I could see that as a problem.

I'll talk to him about it and get more details - I was hoping someone here had experience with it (for good or bad).

5. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

I install Marmoleum. Its a SUPER durible luxary vinyl floor. Its used in doctors, and dentists offices alot. Or anywhere that there is anything very heavy things being set or rolled on it. Examples are funeral homes where they are rolling caskets and stuff. its a PAIN IN MY BUTT to install cause it likes to fight you the whole time. As its super stiff stuff.

Unlike its cousin that you see installed in almost every house Linolium. That is easy to manuver and lay. But is way more thin and can be cut/torn/punctured easily. Its also a fraction of the price for this reason. Not very durable.

But Marmoleum is a super durable floor and wont ever scratch or need to be replaced. It comes in 6' wide goods and 60' long rolls typically. Anything longer weights over 300 lbs cause its about a 1/4" thick

Benifits would be that there are no gaps or cracks for any moister to get through, and is exteremly easy to clean up. perminanly water proof.

Hope this answers your flooring questions of the day :) im supposed to be OFF work right now haha

6. Frognut

LOL - thanks HydroDragon! It does answer some of my questions - I really appreciate it! You can now take the rest of the weekend off :D

7. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

Oh if only that were true. Got one more install day at work before i get to start house work for the weekend. :)