This Disappears When Logged In

Mantis Found in the Yard

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by snubber, Jul 27, 2010.

1. snubber

snubber Elite Member

I saw this lil guy a few weeks back and forgot i took these pic. He was only about 1.5 inch long and i did not know there were any Mantis species Southeast Louisiana.

DSCN0467.jpg
    DSCN0470.jpg
    DSCN0471.jpg

Attached Files:

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Thats awesome. All I can find are the stick insects, lol

3. snubber

snubber Elite Member

I haven't seen sticks in a while but i know they are here. I thought of keeping him after i read Og's post on mantises (doubt i spelled that right) but by the time i read it he was long gone.

4. venus

venus Founding Member

I am sure it will be back :)

5. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

SWEET!! I love those bugs!

6. okiron

okiron Elite Member

Aww so cute! I love them.

7. snubber

snubber Elite Member

He probably never left, he was just not where he was when i saw him. He has plenty of food around here with all the dang mosquitoes around.

8. Medium

Medium Elite Member

I finally found one here, and I held it for almost a half hour before letting it go...love these little guys!

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Pretty cool find.

There are two species of Stick Insect in the USA that are in the Genus Anisomorpha. Be careful with those ones, if you make them mad, they can spray you with a substance that feels very much like being maced.

Not sure about other species.

Thanks for sharing the pics though!

10. snubber

snubber Elite Member

Wow, i did not know that sticks could do that. That would make a day go bad really quick, I have gotten cayenne pepper in my eyes while cooking before and was not to pleasant.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The accounts of people who have been sprayed range from being maced, to having molten lead poured in the eyes, and many other severe symptoms (temporary blindness, extreme pain, corneal discoloration, all lasting up to a week). Oh, and they have been known to have good aim up to 2 feet.

Suddenly, mantises seem so much friendlier!

12. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I'm sure that there are lots of them in your area! They are very well camoflauged in greenery and most people don't see them unless you happen to see them move or they are obvious like in your pic.

They are STEALTH personified! They don't eat by moving around and being noticed. You have to really look hard for them, But they are there!

13. snubber

snubber Elite Member

Yeah, they are the ninjas of the insect world.

14. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

LOL:D