This Disappears When Logged In

Mandarin Rat Snake: Eating

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by katemena, Jan 4, 2011.

1. katemena

katemena Member

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

He is just gorgeous! Thanks for posting updated pictures of him.
    I'm sure a snake owner will be bye for a answer to your question!

3. YellowOctopus

YellowOctopus Elite Member

He's gorgeous!!

As a quick perusal of my snake reference book didn't turn up any unusual dietary habits of these guys, I'd say forgo bumping him up to two fuzzies and give him the biggest feeder you can, as long as it's as big around as he is or less. If he's bigger around than the fuzzies, then you can look into bumping him up to hoppers or weaned mice.

It's always better to feed one item than two simply because there's less mess for you to clean up. And I'd imagine that a snake could stop eating between the items and leave the second out to rot, which is just wasteful.

4. FantasticDamage

FantasticDamage Well-Known Member

Awesome snake! I had never heard nor seen these guys before. I may have to look into checking one out at the next expo.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Beautiful snake - though he looks like he is ready for hoppers, i could have the scale wrong in that picture. Prey items at their thickest point should be 1-1.5 times the diameter of your snake at his thickest point. That is a general rule - a little more or less won't hurt him (though a little less a lot of the time will make him hungry.)

6. katemena

katemena Member

Thanks everyone! I think the scale must be off in the picture, because he is definitely less than an inch wide, and we had attempted to give him a hopper in the past and he didn't even attempt to eat it..Maybe we'll try a hopper again in the near future, and if he doesn't eat it we'll try two fuzzies. What do you think?

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If he is an inch wide he can take hoppers. You want a prey item about as big around as the snake's body at the widest point.