This Disappears When Logged In

Male Boa Girth At One Year ???

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by George03, Sep 11, 2015.

1. George03

George03 Member

Got this boa a week ago girl said he was a year but she only fed him one adult mouse a week so I'm thinking he's very underweight not sure if it's male or female previous owner said it's a male but idk she didn't take very good care of it first time boa owner so not sure how they grow I knw there length grows fast the first couple years thts it so help please

Attached Files:

2. George03

George03 Member

And not sure if he's really a year I'm hoping not cuz of how skinny he is

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

From the photo the snake appears to be a healthy weight, not super skinny or dehydrated looking. If you are concerned you should go up a feeder size or try small rats.

4. Ebolling45

Ebolling45 Member

boas dont normally grow very fast actually , my yearling who is now eating sm.rats is only 232 grams..

5. George03

George03 Member

Ok thanks if it is a male and he's around 3ft can you make a guess off his growth in the first year to about how big he will get or about ???

6. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

He looks nice and normal to me from what I can see in that small picture. You could switch him from a mouse every week to a small rat about the same width of his girth, every two weeks now.

7. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

And by the way, you don't have to feed him every two weeks on the dot. If he is shedding, for instance, just wait until he is done and then give him two more days and feed him. It does no harm for you not to be exact with the feeding. Learn his behaviour and you will know when he is ready to eat again.