This Disappears When Logged In

Making Plans for Adult Cwd Enclosure.

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by epictreasure, Jan 30, 2014.

1. epictreasure

epictreasure Elite Member

I have been looking around this site for awhile and learned a lot. Currently I am making plans for an adult enclosure for my WD. I have most of my plans done, now I am adjusting things for what I need inside the tank. So far the outer dimensions are going to be 6'L x 2.5'W x 7'H. The height the WD will have will be a little smaller because of the lights and the pool.

The question I have right now is about the pool, which has worked best for everyone, an aquarium tank or a pool that a drain can be added to? And what have you used as a filter and heater?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. safftaft

safftaft Well-Known Member

That's a great size enclosure for one dragon. I'm in the process of building an adult sized enclosure as well. For a pool, I chose to use a deep rubbermaid container that is set into the bottom of the enclosure. It comes with a lid so all you need to do for cleaning is pop the lid on and lift it out of the tank to change the water and such. For advise on a filter I would suggest this thread. http://www.herpcenter.com/water-dragons/51841-filter-chinese-water-dragon.html
    It has a lot of different product info/opinions in the same area for filters. Hope that helps!

3. epictreasure

Good luck with your enclosure build and thanks for the help.

I am going to try to make the pool about 4'L x 18-24"W x 12"+ deep.
    Would a pool of that size be difficult to clean without a drain or would a big filter do the job?

4. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

For the size of pool you are looking at have you considered using a 90 gall fish tank? they are 48x18x24 in and its what I am currently using for Tai. So far with the fish and the canister filter it stays very clean and its nice because I get to see him swimming and chasing the fish. Once in awhile I will drain most of the water out and replace it with clean water but other than that and some use of a net for big chinks of waste that get missed it stays really clean.
    heres some pics of my setup: E16B5664-A984-48B6-8D57-87EFC47BE871-598-000000755B4F017A_zps43e1accd.jpg E36C032B-4609-4CAA-8AD9-AACEBED13960-4984-000004036997FBE6_zps9245417e.jpg

6. trappen

trappen Elite Member

Does he ever catch any?

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Not while swimming as the fish have lots of places to hide. He has caught two by sitting on his log and waiting for them to come to him. Unfortunately he doesnt like fish so he just kills them for fun and then I have to clean up his mess.

8. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

I love that set up thal, I might get a Chinese here soon........ they look amazing and do they handle very well like greenies do?

9. epictreasure

Thanks for the help. I am probably going to get either a 75 or 90 gallon. Hopefully I can find something on sale.

What thickness of plywood would I need so that I could have less framing when I build the enclosure?
    Thank you for all your help.

10. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

I say half inch...... it will give more insulation to hold the heat in more, just my preference

11. epictreasure

Would the 1/2 in plywood with 2x4s on the bottom support the 90 gallon tank or would 3/4" be better?

12. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

if you put braces in the bottom every 6-8 inches apart then half inch would be ok cause you have the support underneath it but if you want to go the with three quarters its fine but its up to you and your budget.....

13. trappen

trappen Elite Member

Bare in mind filled 90 gallon tank weighs over 1000lbs. Do you plan on having the viv on casters for mobility? How high off the actual floor will the "bottom" be?

14. epictreasure

How hard are casters to add onto an enclosure? Would waiting to add the wheels make it more difficult or is it better to already have the wheels on?
    I had been thinking about casters, but then my enclosure would end up being shorter. 7' high is the tallest I can make the enclosure with or without wheels. And I dont plan on moving the enclosure until i move out. But I am planning on adding them eventually.

For the bottom I am planning 3/4" plywood and either 2x4 or 4x4 framing. I wasnt sure what I needed to support the tank. Which do you think, 2x4 or 4x4?
    Thank you for your help.

15. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

id say to use for the base 4x4s, and for when you move you can always build the cage in two pieces

16. trappen

trappen Elite Member

even if you don't add the casters now I would go ahead and prep the spot for the casters during the build. I would do a window of 4x4 outer 4 edges and then a cross inside the outer frame, then for added stability and support 2x4 cross braces on either side of the long center support. as for adding the casters you will need to be sure you get casters that are rated to support the weight and I recommend 5-7 odd number being i would have one caster dead center under the weight of the tank.

17. safftaft

safftaft Well-Known Member

I agree with everything said so far. Your base will certainly need to be 4x4's as 2" lumber may not support all that weight plus be structurally sound if you drill holes in for casters. In my opinion, the casters will only matter when you move. An enclosure the size and weight your talking about probably won't be relocating much once installed. Keep us posted on your work please. I'm very interested to see how it turns out.

18. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

agreed, its always interesting to see someones work in progress...... hard to believe that a hobby like keeping reptiles will entail more then just keeping the animal but also carpentry, gardening if you have an herbavor (myself), and then colonizing and keeping rats and bugs...... I love it

19. trappen

trappen Elite Member

I agree! Was talking just last night with my wife about converting our 2 layer coffee table into a viv for snickers. It already has a hole in the top so no reason not to cut it up and convert it.

20. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

id be pretty awesome if there was a way to convert it into an enclosure but still have a way to still use it as a coffee table......haha