This Disappears When Logged In

Making Hides and Waterbowls

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by snubber, Jul 6, 2010.

1. snubber

snubber Elite Member

For my red tail boa enclosure that I will probably start construction on tomorrow I will be making my own hides using this process Artificial Reptile Enclosure Wall. I will also make one hide kinda dual purpose, I make it a tall so it can be used as a basking spot. But im concerned with using this as a waterbowl. If i seal it properly would it hold water and hold up to the humidity levels in the enclosure?

2. lovesreptiles

lovesreptiles Elite Member

very cool. plz post pics of ur enclosure when u finish it. seems like u can get very creative with the stuff and i would love to see ur enclosure.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I would not advise it for the water bowl. Water bowls need frequent cleanings, and if they are porous, the can start to grow unpleasant things in them. I opt for scrubbable, non-porous plastics and ceramics.

4. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

I would suggest making the water bowl removable. You can sink it into the enclosure, but make sure it comes in and out easy. Especially if your guy like to do number 2 in it.

5. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

I second the above completely......Keep in mind you are going to have to take them out to clean quite often..One suggestion is to make a very nice decorative elevated platform that has a hollow area in the center, then simply use one of those inexpensive disposable tupperware bowls to place inside the hollow area..That way the outer appearance will match the rest of your cage and items, but it will be MUCH easier to take out the plastic so that it can be easily cleaned...(also, you can just replace them with another clean one very quickly/easily if you are in a rush and don't have time to thoroughly clean the one you take out at that moment.)

6. snubber

snubber Elite Member

I took the advice and made the bowl decorative but made it to the bowl has a liner that comes out and can be cleaned. The bowls were free had some 1 gallon plastic tubs around the house. I will post pics when everything is done with the tank.