This Disappears When Logged In

Making Cage Decorations

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by purplemuffin, Apr 18, 2010.

1. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Hello! Nathan and I enjoy sculpting things out of..well, various materials of any kind. He especially enjoys creating architectural things, sometimes out of boredom will make caves and ghosts towns for fun.

While messing around with some super sculpey, we thought about the possibility of making some of our own cage furnishings!

What are some good options for this? Now, I know most clays are toxic including sculpey, but I'm curious, what if there was some sort of paint or sealer or something?

I'm basically asking: what can I mold and work with that'll still be safe for my babies?

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I don`t know what sculpey is?

3. purplemuffin

oh sorry! It's an art modeling clay, popular because it doesn't need a kiln to cure it--the temps required to cure it are in the 300s, so you can do it in an oven. Any waterbased paint/other sculpture medium can be put on it when cured

Super Sculpey® Firm | Polyform Products Company

Sculpey is just easy to use, if it'd still be dangerous to use even if coated with something I would of course use something else! That's just where my experience comes from

4. purplemuffin

I found this post on the idea of using sculpey: Trying out Sculpey caves

I get nervous about trusting other websites and forums though, though this person seems to have a pretty good idea about it. I'm still not sure, that's why I'm asking you guys!

And of course if there is anything else that is easy to mold and worry free, I can easily switch to that

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

From the Sculpey.com website safety page, which says that they use non toxic materials,.... but it carries these warnings.

These in themselves would make me hesitant to use it in a viv!

6. purplemuffin

Very good points! Which is why I'm willing to use whatever if anyone knows!

Of course there is a difference between cured(Hardened) and uncured polymer clay--When soft it's, well, soft and will stick and be very bad, I can't imagine what ingesting it would do! Blech!

When cured, the sculpture feels like one of those terracotta plant pots. During the baking the clay will give off an 'odor' though the fumes are not toxic and are gone by the time it is done curing(even if you put it in an oven again) and so can be painted on or sealed with aquarium safe epoxy sealant thing...

But again! If anyone has any idea that's a safe route if this seems risky? Do you think if completely covered in some kind of clear safe sealant it would be dangerous?

I'm curious what those fake hides are made of anyway! I've never built any walls or decorations, so again if anyone has advice on thing to use that can be worked with, I'd love to hear it!

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have worked with sculpy myself and am familiar with it. Since it specifically states not for use as an item to hold or serve food I would question its non toxicity.
    I would not risk it.

There are other types of clays which are air dried that as long as they would not be in an a wet environment might be useable. Check into the stuff that they use for schoolkids. THAT has to be nontoxic.

8. purplemuffin

Haha ALL the preschools here use sculpey, but all right!

If you're worried about sculpey, the other ones won't be better--Polymer clay is polymer clay, all of them have the same warnings on them--For an art project I emailed a representative of..Oh, it was Fimo or Premo, one of those polymer companies I see at every hobby lobby. According to them the food warning was due to them being extremely porous which can allow them to absorb bacteria(Also would leave a stain if you left anything wet on them!)

But alright, I'll keep searching

9. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

I myself believe it would be fine. After its cured and let to air out i wouldnt see any problem esspeacialy if your covering it yet again. If you encased it in tile grout or even silicone with EE on it. It would be just as good as anything else covered in the same manner.

10. purplemuffin

Alright! I'll keep researching! I'm at a fine arts college, and my roommate happens to be studying the process of creating and using polymer clay, I'll look over her books with her and when I take 3d courses I'll talk to my professors about it as well!

11. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

the clay itself may not be non-toxic. But if you completely covered it with a couple layers of tile grout (which is practically concrete) It would then be covered with a non-toxic surface... Which is the only reason I say I would use it.

12. purplemuffin

That's what I planned to do (cover it with safe material completely) even if the material was ultra perfectly safe anyway, so thanks for the input!