This Disappears When Logged In

Making A Custom Lid For Aquarium?

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by LoveReptiles, Sep 23, 2017.

1. LoveReptiles

LoveReptiles Active Member

Hello all! I have a 10 year old red eared slider, he is in a 55 gallon aquarium (he's 5-6 inches long). Well, I recently bought an above-tank basking area, which will allow me to fill the tank with water almost completely to the top. The problem I'm now facing is this; the original screen lid will no longer fit on the tank, and I NEED a lid, because he will definitely climb out with the water being so close to the top. Can anyone give me tips on what to do? I was thinking about making a custom lid, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing this, or which materials I should use.

2. Jacob Eddy

Jacob Eddy Active Member

you can make one out of safe wood and hardware cloth

3. LoveReptiles

That's a good idea, but will the evaporation cause the lid to become moldy over time?

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Maybe. You could always seal the wood. Or frame out the lid with pvc tubing and use either mesh or glass/acrylic in between. (Not sure what your enclosure needs are)
    Here's an example of pvc tube framing, just to give you an idea... 64e71b877453b69abdc389b3c88059bb.jpg

5. LoveReptiles

What do you mean by sealing the wood? The pvc frame sounds like a good idea, but I'm unsure how I'd attach the wire mesh to it.
    Thanks for the reference photo!

6. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

You can seal wood with a waterproofer, it's usually a finish you paint on. There are alot of varieties that work. Ask at your hardware store and they can point you to it. You can attach the wire mesh with hot glue and screws. There might be other ways like just zip tying it to the frame.

7. LoveReptiles

I'll probably use a waterproofer on wood, that seems like the easiest way. Thanks for the tips!

8. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LoveReptiles likes this.
  9. LoveReptiles

Rich likes this.