This Disappears When Logged In

Maintaining Optimum Temps

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by TomKenney, Jul 17, 2012.

1. TomKenney

TomKenney New Member

Hi all. I'm not new to snakes, my first being a CRB almost 30 years ago (wow, that was a reality check), and have had a couple in between, but I still consider myself a novice. I just purchased another CRB 4 days ago. My problem is my daytime temps in my apartment get a little on the warm side in the summer. Even now, at 8:30 pm, the "cool side" in the tank (away from the lamp) is 84.7 F. I haven't seen the temp in the tank hit 90 yet (which would really concern me) but it's only July. Humidity is a little above 65, which is a little dry. It was 72 in the tank this morning, so nighttime temps aren't really an issue. I have a very basic plastic snake tank, approx. 40 gallon size that I got with the snake from the pet store. It came with an incandescent bulb and shade sitting directly on the screen top, but I moved it a little ways away from the tank because of the heat. With ambient temps being so high, other than raising the humidity, does anyone have any suggestions for getting the temps down to the optimal 80 degrees? And would raising the humidity to 80 or so make that much difference in the temps. I do realize the higher humidity will be better for the snake so I'm working on that anyway. I will appreciate any input.

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Is the tank in sunlight during the day? That could be it. I'm assuming no AC? Is that why it gets hot? Either way, if its in direct sunlight move it to a more shaded place then maybe try a fan that oscillates in that room. Maybe another member can give you other things that may work for the temps.

3. TomKenney

TomKenney New Member

I do have a window ac unit in a different room. The oscillating fan is an idea that might work. The tank is by a window that gets morning sun but I folded up a blanket and put it between the tank and the window to insulate and keep direct sun off the tank. It seems to work since the back wall of the tank doesn't feel any warmer than the other walls. I'll buy a fan today and try that. Otherwise, I guess it may be time to rearrange my apartment (being kinda cat-like and a guy I pretty much loathe that idea, but want my snake to be healthy and happy). Thank you.