This Disappears When Logged In

MagNaturals Earth Hideaways

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by Midori, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Midori

Midori Elite Member

2. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

I've never used the hides...but have used the magnatural "mushroom feeder ledgers" (and those have the same magnets)..the magnets are very strong, and I've never had an issue with them...(I do know you can also purchase replacement magnets for under $2, just in case you were concerned...but like I've said, I've never had an issue with mine.)

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have heard those magnetic things have been known to injure animals whose body parts get stuck in them when the magnets close, but I have not used them personally.

4. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

oh goodness....that is definitely something to think about,.....while I don't have the hides, as stated, I can attest to the fact that the magnets are "very strong", so I could certainly see how that would cause a serious issue if an animals body part was in between the hide and glass when the magnet was first put in place.....(glad I only have the ledge, and it has been stationary since I put it in my viv.)

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I think unlucky gecko owners sometimes call them tail-breakers.

6. Midori

Midori Elite Member

Shame on the owner that didn't keep and eye on their baby while they where installing it! I remove my gecko when I put something new in I've had her try and crawl under hides before it's on the bottom of the cage. o_O

7. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

its not that they put them in and leave them. Its the people that want to look in the hide all the time and look see it sleeping, then close it on them.

8. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I guess that that is the kind that has the other side of the hide on the out side of the glass. These aren't really hides if you can see in it.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes it was the ones that had half the cave on the inside and the other half on the outside that could be removed for viewing that was the problem. When they placed the outside half back on legs and tails were frequently caught between the cave and the glass of the tank.
    The item asked about should not have this issue since it just hangs there and there is no outside part to replace.

10. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

I also only have the shelf version of these products, and there is only one issue -- the magnet was not strong enough to hold up through my 55 gal tank. Since the glass on the larger tank was thicker, the shelf did not support the weight of my leopard gecko. :(

They work beautifully in the smaller tanks, but you just have to watch the thickness of the glass.

And yes, when those magnets get close to the shelf it SLAMS itself together - so any tails or toes in the way will be pinched. That goes for kids too, keep the little ones away and assemble it in the tank yourself.