This Disappears When Logged In

Madagascar Hissing Cockroach

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by MadDog, Mar 15, 2011.

1. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

O.K. one of my two female roaches gave birth to some nymphs today, which was really awesome! :) I am a bit confused though. Most sources say they can lay about 30-60 live nymphs, but I only saw five, and two out of the five were already dark, which means they had been born for a while. Is she gradually laying them. I know this isn't how they give birth, but I couldn't figure out why else there would be such a small amount. Plus, both of my females still look pregnant. I'm just so confused. lol

2. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Well, one of the five died, so I'm down to four. :(

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I hope you don't lose any more!
    With some reading they say they lay about 20-60 nymphs at a time, so maybe she has more to come or maybe she dropped part of the egg case before she getting the egg sack back in?

Good Luck!

4. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Thank you MLD. I will keep everyone updated the next few days. Hopefully she empties them out.

5. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

something might have startled her, maybe once night falls she will finish :) good luck!

6. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Thanks. I checked in on her this morning and there were still only five, including the dead one. :( Hopefully she will finish up tonight though.

7. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Well, this morning only four where in the tank and yet another one died! :( I'm not sure what is going on with this girl but hopefully she will have the rest. Like I said earlier, both my females still look plump and pregnant.

8. andy140365

andy140365 Member

i keep these too not had them long but they are doing well i keep them dark and really warm they are breeding well bit of bug gel and fresh greens every day not too much though they also have bran available and crushed dog buicuits with fish flakes mixed in so far so good any news on yours ?