This Disappears When Logged In

Macklot's Python Rescue

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by TheMakrophage, Apr 5, 2012.

1. TheMakrophage

TheMakrophage New Member

Hello all,
    I rescued a Macklot's python roughly a month ago and have seen a great deal of improvement with him. When I picked him up he was roughly 30inches long, and about the thickness of a dime (His ribs were clearly visible). I took him to the vet and they weighed him at about 105grams, I also had him sexed and picked up medication for his mite infestation. Currently he is about the size of a nickle, and he has grown at least an inch.

My question:
    I have a snake the size of a nickle at his widest point, about 30-32 inches long, and I am currently feeding him 2 rat pinks every five days, Do you believe I should be feeding him more? Less? More frequently? He's eating rat pinks because they appear to be the largest food items I can realistically feed him.

Thanks,

Additional Info:
    I have posted on other forums and received "feed him whenever he will take food as a response"....... he's a Macklot's python They will eat just about anything you put in front of them, whenever you try to feed them.
    This snake is two years old. And he's about the size of a hatchling, just a little thicker and much longer.
    The guy who had him before me bought him from a breeder when he was a week old and fed him one mouse pink every week.

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

First let me say thanks for rescuing the poor guy! As for feeding.... I can't quite picture the rat pinkies but there should be a nice bulge when he eats. If it is noticeble then he's getting the right amount. Without seeing them together it's hard to tell. If he's two years old I would consider moving him to just once a week for now. You don't want to keep his metabolism high, is he's getting the right size once a week wont hurt him. Would it be realistic to consider maybe a fuzzie? Something a tad bit bigger then the pinkies. I know about being in between sizes, it sucks. CAn you post some pics so we can get a better idea? The ideal size is always a little bigger then their widest part.

3. TheMakrophage

TheMakrophage New Member

For some reason the pictures I am trying to upload are not being accepted.

I put two pictures of him, as well as a picture of the rat (pinkies? pups?) I have been feeding him compared to a nickle.

Flickr: .Freudian.'s Photostream

(Ignore the other pictures, I was required to take a photography class..... not a strong point of mine)

Thanks,
    TJ

4. TheMakrophage

TheMakrophage New Member

And honestly there isn't a good way for me to put the two of them in the same picture...... He has an aggressive feeding response and I think he might try to eat the un-thawed rat.

5. TheMakrophage

TheMakrophage New Member

Flickr: .Freudian.'s Photostream

I don't know if my first attempt at answering went through, I'm fairly new to forums in general.
    The top four pictures are of him and the rat (pinkies? pups?) I have been feeding him.
    Please ignore the other photos........ I was required to take a photography class and i don't think it went very well lol.
    thanks,
    TJ

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

From the picture on your arm he looks thicker then the nickel. If it was me I would try something a little bigger. Also the pic with the nickel up and the rat next to it showed you could go bigger. I would definately move him back to once a week feedings though. It would be healthier to let him recover over time then to try to do it too fast.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. Judging from the photos you need to up the size of the feeders.
    Those are pinkies. A rat pup is about the size of an adult mouse.

8. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Definately up the size of the prey, not quantity of rat pups. It's amazing how big they can actually stretch their mouths.