This Disappears When Logged In

Love at First Sight

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Joy81, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

I went to the pet store the other day, and got to hold my first whites tree frog! I was so excited, it looked up at me with those big eyes and I was hooked. Unfortunately I don't have room now, but it's totaly on my list! I have a tall 20gal, that my garter snake is in, but she really needs to be moved into the long 20gal. I let the little toads go so I could leave town, we only had them for a few days. I told my husband if the tadpoles don't make it, I am seriously considering making a kick *** vivarium and getting a whites! We only have the tadpoles, and the garter, that leaves plenty of love to go around, lol.

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

White's are SOOOO much fun!

3. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

Do you have any? What are there personalities like? I've read up on them a whole bunch, they seem to be really cool, and soooo cute!

4. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

They are awesome frogs! I really enjoyed keeping one.

5. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I had 6 at one point. Now Liz has them. They each have their own personalities. Greenie was my girl that would want to come out and explore and jump around a bit but then would settle down and "cuddle" up to me. Generally she would climb up to my collar bone area and somehow get just under the collar of my shirt, then she would just settle herself there. It was always so funny to feel her shifting back and forth until she found just the right spot. She would sit there for hours while I was reading a book or watching TV. Brownie never really wanted to explore outside the tank. He would be happy just sitting there with ya, but was happiest when he was back in his area. The others all varied in between.

6. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

I never thought of cuddling with a frog, that's so cute! As a kid, I brought all kinds of critters home, much to my mother's dismay.When I moved in with my husband, we had rats, fish, cats, a dog, and a huge assortment of creatures. My husband it turns out is allergic to all things furry, so lucky for me (and him lol)we are now exploring the herp side of pet ownership. So far, its been way more fun!

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yep, I have all of Shells, minus one who passed shortly after coming to me. "Brownie," now Trevor, is still the same. Greenie comes out but doesn't want to cuddle, she just wants to explore and explore more. There are days when I open up the viv and I get bombarded by 3 or 4 of them jumping onto me at once.

Sometimes I take Grace out and she'll sit on top of my monitor and fall asleep. Its nice and warm. I can't really let them free roam much, since I have cats. I can let one or two out at a time. I usually put them in my menagerie of house plants so they can crawl around.

If you do decide to get one, we'll give you some tips on getting a healthy one. There are still a lot of imported whites out there, and they usually come in sick and die eventually. We can show you the signs.

8. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

That would be wonderful! I am very excited about the idea, I saw the pictures of you building your viv, and I looked at the articles about how to make such a thing. I have a 50gal with a stand that would do nicely! I think my husband might disown me! lol

9. schlegelbagel

They would do good in a 50 gallon. You could get 3 or 4 in there very comfortably. If you are good with construction, you could even convert it into a vertical enclosure since they prefer height over width, but having a 50 long isn't a bad thing either. :)

10. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

So what are the signs of imported Whites, how can you tell the difference? The pet store that I saw this frog at is a very clean, and respectable store. I'm sure they would be very forth coming with any information about their frogs, but one can never be too careful!

11. schlegelbagel

The best way is to ask them. They should be able to tell you if they are wild caught or captive bred. Look for any skin lesions and nose rub.

This is what you want to stay away from:
    [​IMG]

12. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

OH! That poor frog! It breaks my heart to see frogs with skin problems, knowing how absolutely sensitive their skin is to all sorts of things.

13. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

Ugh thats awful! The frog that I saw looked very healthy, he didn't seem to have any problems at all. I will be sure to ask around before I pick one though. My brother offered to take the tadpoles and set them up in a nice tank, if I wanted to get a Whites! He didn't have a tank before, that's why he gave them to me in the first place. I told him I would help him set up his tank if need be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.