This Disappears When Logged In

Lost Milk Snake

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by mldolan, Mar 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mldolan

mldolan Active Member

since this is not about a BP its a little OT but its something we can all relate to i think. and besides the milksnake forum is kinda dead atm.
    I recently acquired a beautiful (and devious) pueblan milksnake, about 11" long and as big around as a pencil. just as described in the books they are nervous and wiggly creatures, and fast too. I wanted to give it some time to settle in b4 handling it so i set up a nice tank with lots of hides, water and deep aspen shavings for burrowing. of course temp and humidity were monitored diligently via digital probes in hot and cool sides of the tank. sometimes he would peek out at me from under the aspen as if to say hello. well, one day i noticed i hadn't seen him for a while, but i still didn't want to disturb him so i kinda looked around the tank and figured he was deep in the aspen snoozing. that morning at 4 am wile getting ready for work i started to worry. i opened the lid and began to search, long story short, no snake!!. remembering what i had read i set up a bit of a trap in the room a heat lamp, a hide, a tiny bit of mouse, and some water. opened up the windows and sealed the room. in the middle of doing this however my wife walked in.... Now i don't care how good a liar you are, there is nothing you can say to cover this up. i was busted. My wife loves the BP, the milksnake on the other hand she is not too fond of. suddenly the situation went from DEFCON 3 to DEFCON 1, MUST FUND SNAKE NOW. so, more tearing apart of my guy room ensued while my lovely wife began mixing concrete outside my door. After an hour or so with no luck, (BTW calling your boss and trying to explain that you are gonna be late because a snake escaped is a very unpleasant experience in and of itself), I sat down with a cup of coffee and a cigarette, and looked very carefully at the tank and the surrounding area. and tried to think like a snake. the tank rests on a rubbermaid shelf made of plastic shelves four tubes, another shelf 4 tubes etc. well there is really no way down and nothing a snake would be interested in on the shelf except the nice dark holes of the shelf tubes, sure enough when i shined my flashlight down the tube there was snakie curled up at the bottom of a four foot tube!!! Now i'm not a religious person, but i thanked whatever deity inspired the design of those shelves as i am not now resembling the victim in the"The Cask of Amontillado" ..... In pace requiescat.

Anyway even after being trapped in a dark hole for god know how long snakey still did not want to come out and it took a good 15 min to get him out and back into his cage. At this point our best guess is that he climbed the 2 mm digital probe wire and found a hole big enough to get out through. He had to have been gone at least 12 hours because the previous night i put weatherstripping all around the top lid as it seemed a bit loose to me. Well snakey has lost his aspen privileges, and now has a nice bit of carpet to move around on. plus all hides are visible, so snakey can be seen at all times. except for last night.......
    Yes he did it again. 12" of sheer glass. I was napping yesterday afternoon when i awoke with the vague feeling that something was wrong. I went over to the milk snakes tank and you guessed it, no snake. nothing higher that 3" in the tank, no wires just glass. I have no idea how he did it, unless i somehow got ahold of some kind of levitation morph. I go to open the tank lid and THUNK, snakey drops, so I either caught him b4 he found a hole, or i sealed the lid well enough that he just couldn't get out. ever since then he has been in the corner giving me the evil eye for ruining his plans to take over the world.
    Mike

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Re: OT Lost Snake

The thread has been moved to the correct place...if the forum is dead, lets liven it up ;)

Why did you open the windows? But I am glad you found him. 4ft tube, thats nuts, lol.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Are you using just the standard screen top? If so you need to secure it. These pose no hinderance to a snake determimed to go wandering!

Either weigh it down or what I do is to use velcro on all four corners liike this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. mldolan

mldolan Active Member

No I just think the lid/tank is old and showing its age. I have spring clips, and weatherstripping, but the lid is a tiny bit too big for the tank. I think the tank was originally an aquarium. I'm going to petco today and see if I can find a suitable replacement.
    Mike

5. lizardking508

lizardking508 Elite Member

Great story telling! Glad to hear you found your snake and the both of you are doing okay.

6. mldolan

mldolan Active Member

Re: OT Lost Snake

i opened the windows to cool the room, thus making the "hotspot" more attractive to snakie.

7. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Zilla makes tanks with a sliding screen top. You can even put a small padlock on them to keep other people out. They're more expensive though. I like the velcro idea. I'm currently using weights on my BP tank. I've got a Zilla for my blood It's nice because I don't have to worry about him getting out.
    I kept hearing a strange noise from my BP cage the other night. He was using his body trying push up one corner of the screen top.
    I don't know for sure, But I'd be willing to bet that snakes have the the highest ratio of muscle to overall body mass than any other vertebrate. They can push and shove their way through things we have a hard time imagining.
    I'm glad you found your snake. I would have a hard time finding something that small with all the junk I have sitting around!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.