This Disappears When Logged In

Lost Book, an Urgent Call for Help

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by peter84jenkins, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peter84jenkins

peter84jenkins Well-Known Member

Fellow herpers I need your help. I recently had my book "Cobras in His Garden" sent to Bill for a signature in light of his 100th bday.

IT WAS STOLEN!
    The package was clearly labeled with the Haast's names and the serpentariums address. Someone knew what was in the package.

Please, if you come across this book for sale (ebay, craigslist, kingsnake, or venomousreptiles.org, amazon) that has been signed by Bills wife and a note to Daniel Duff on xmas 2001 from my mother.

please let me know!! If you are in the market for this book and you happen to buy this one, I will refund your money. This book is dear to me, it has been in my possession for 10 years and I never intended to sell it or lose it.

It was most likely taken from the Buford, Ga area. So, most likely if it is for sale, it will be from GA.

Thanks guys,

Please email me or pm me!

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Good luck Peter. I will keep my eyes peeled during my searches.

3. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I tend to go out antique/thrift shopping every couple of weeks in Atlanta. I will definitely check for your book when I'm out.

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I am not in Georgia, but I can keep my eyes open! I will also check when I go to the Repticon show in Columbia SC in March. Good luck in your searches, please keep up posted!

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I hope that your book is found, good luck with your search!

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

7. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm guessing its that book, but not THAT exact book as the description from the seller says:
    "bears this autograph "Thank you, Sue, for your visit to the Serpentarium. 2 6 77 Bill Haast"."

8. peter84jenkins

No, mine will be signed 2011. It will also have a note to me from my mother from 2001. There is also another note from someone who got it as a gift in 54. I am hoping with all the eyes in the herp community, if someone buys it they will have seen my posts and description. I will obviously pay the person what they paid for it.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thieves_________.
    Our censors would have blocked it anyways!

Good luck with your search!

10. peter84jenkins

Thanks Merlin. I am patiently waiting for the UPS truck to come retrieve the package for investigation today.
    I hate thieves too. I am going to try and make it hard for that person to sell the book. He is going to have to tear pages out if he wants to sell it. Wouldn't put it past a thief though.

11. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

How do you know that it was stolen? Is it possible that the deliverer lost it? Did you have insurance on it?

That's stinky that it's lost. :(

12. peter84jenkins

The package was torn open the way it is designed to tear. It was insured and carried a tracking number. When the package is scanned as it passes through a hub, it should have been noted that it was damaged. The fact that it was not, makes me think it was stolen. Plus, the contents were easy to discern by feeling, anyone who is familiar with the Haasts (whos address was plainly visible) would know that the package was valuable. This book sells for $100 to $300. Mine was in awesome cond, first edition and hardcover. I cannot believe this to be an accident.

13. gapeachkatie

Sadly, with the number of smart phones out there, people can easily look up names on packages, especially if they can tell what is in the package.
    My father works for Delta in Ground Ops and always comes home with stories about the recent lost/stolen reports in Atlanta alone.

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And having once worked in the freight business I can tell you that there are a lot of things "lost" while in UPS's control.
    The amount of electronics, alone, that disappears is staggering.

15. peter84jenkins

Still waiting on UPS to show up.

16. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

That's gross.

17. peter84jenkins

Whats gross? UPS's negligence?

18. gapeachkatie

I think it is a gross situation all together. Negligence on UPS's part, dishonesty on an employee's part, and lack of common decency that is far too common in people now.

19. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

All of it. =(

20. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Ok, so First Edition, excellent condition, Hardcover - what else? Did it have a dust jacket?

I've been perusing the internet, and even had some sellers e-mail me with a scan of the inscription page...>:) And, boy - you aren't kidding about the value!!

Actually, I'll bet some of the places that are selling these books could be notified - because it's also possible it would be sold to a book dealer and thus 'out of the hands' of the lousy creep that stole it.

Good Luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.