This Disappears When Logged In

Loss of female tomato

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by big vinny, Mar 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big vinny

big vinny Active Member

I' m sad to say but I found my female tomato frog dead in the water:( But I believe if you let people know where you went wrong it may help someone be successful :) Right keeping them on a good layer of damp kitchen roll helps the males come into breeding condition. A solid glass lid covering 90% of the tank keeps humidity up.They will take worms, slugs, w/worms, crickets, locust, mealworms. Placing them in a rain chamber will get them into amplexus with the female, turning rain off got them to part. Mine were in amplexus a week [not unusual for frogs and toads before spawning] males appear to secrete a substance to stick to the female, marks on female's abdomen where arms had held her. Males called during day and night show dark patch on throat a lot smaller in size and mine are orange. Females orange body but very red legs and arms. Spawn floats according to research. Maybe keeping them like spadefoots and flooding viv would do it:confused:

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I thought they needed pools of water to lay eggs? I would say if you can make the viv 1/2 shallow water 1/2 land you might have better luck. Sorry for your loss. Some women die during child birth. I don't know if she was holding in the eggs until the proper conditions were presented?

3. big vinny

big vinny Active Member

Yes ,but that is the thing why many people don't breed amphibs so very hard to get it right for some species They breed in ditches when the rainy season starts. My males are calling now so I don't think I was too far out with my approach? Maybe a drop in the water temp triggers the female to release the eggs [many thousand apparently] So sad when it goes wrong. They are such nice little characters.

4. reptile_kid

reptile_kid Elite Member

that's sad:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.