This Disappears When Logged In

Loose Cobra in Toronto

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by kriminaal, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Remember the story about the escaped king cobra in Toronto? That was back in October. Well it still hasn't been found and although the owner of the apartment building assumes it's dead. He is not quite ready to let tenants move back in yet. On a side note the owner of the escaped cobra was just found guilt of a public nuisance in that event as well as 3 accounts of sexual assault. Not your stand up citizen. Doesn't paint a pretty picture of herp owners does it?

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Go figure....I know how long a snake can fast for, i'm not sure i'd be prepared to move my family back into the apartment, even if the guy who was not capable of proper snake care precautions in the first place 'thought' it was 'probably' dead.

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

It's ashame the cobra didn't reappear and tag this sexual predator several times causing him his death. (I have no compassion for sexual predators.) That would have been a great story to read about.

The truth is, if they intend on moving people back into the complex, they need to either locate the snakes body, or they need to "bomb" the building to ensure that it is dead.

I know to most that seems cruel, but having an animal with the ability to kill within the building structure could cause the death of a human. That would just add even more bad publicity for enthusiasts.

Snakes can fast for extremely long times, so who knows if its dead. This clown needs to take precautions to ensure it is by using chemical warfare on the building. Its too risky to just assume it has passed.

4. venus

venus Founding Member

Thats a scary thought...Thanks for keeping us updated Mike :)

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I strongly second that one Rich! :mad: :mad: :mad:

And so once again the stereotype of snakekeepers being criminals, drug addicts and thugs is splashed across the news! :mad:
    Is it any wonder that they attempt to outlaw herp keeping?
    Look at the type of character that is associated with our hobby in the eyes of the general public!!!!!!!!!!!!

And its also quite possible that the snake has located and been consuming the local rodent population.
    I wouldn't move in there!

6. joeking

joeking Elite Member

A girl I was working with was seeing a guy who lost his snake...4 years later they were watching a movie in their basement and heard something in the ceiling...now they have tiles that they can take out so he removed one and thinking it was a mouse stuck his head up to see something slither away! They can last a very long time...didn't think you had mice guys? No wonder! The snake was eating them all

7. kriminaal

One good thing is that the story hasn't been a very big one since it happened. Most media outlets don't see it as big news anymore.

8. JustJames76

JustJames76 Elite Member

As much as I love animals (sorry folks, but more than I do people), I have to agree with poisoning the building and hoping it's still inside. It's a horrible situation for the snake and the people who live there. Since it's Toronto, I doubt they'd even consider antivenom for a cobra if someone didn't have a positive ID or bring the snake in with them. Could cost someone valuable time they might not be able to afford. I know it puts herp owners in a bad light, but if an innocent gets hurt by this snake, I hope they nail the owner to the wall. Man.... just a horrible situation.

On the other topic, I think the public opinion of the average herp owner is ludicrous. Most herp enthusiasts I know are intelligent and well educated. Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that people who have no problem keeping a 130 lbs dog in their house think I'm crazy for picking up a 2 oz corn snake? :D

9. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

No kidding. Some people I know even train their dogs to be aggressive towards strangers, then freak out when you tell them you have a reptile or snake. "Won't it bite?!"

*sigh*

10. EWom

EWom Member

Toronto? Wouldn't just keeping the heat off in winter do the job? I thought most cobras came from much warmer environments.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This is true but in insulated buildings the temperature is much warmer than outside. Even with every heat source turned off.
    Reptiles are quite resilient and can survive situations far better then we might think.

12. kriminaal

True and then you'd have all the water pipes freeze and burst.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.