This Disappears When Logged In

Looks Like Whacking Day is Back...

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by Rayban, Dec 8, 2012.

1. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member

According to the articles there are specific areas that they are able to hunt, not random. But then again idiots are idiots and will do what ever they want.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Exactly. Not like the govt will know where the snakes come from.

3. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member

I wonder if they are going by the regulations they have in place for hunting. In those the hunters have to use a GPS for snake locations.

4. Rayban

Rayban Elite Member

it just makes me sad to hear about local governments basically paying people to go out and murder an animal that really (according to its own nature) is doing nothing wrong.

i agree that the problem is a human generated one, as the animals started out as pets and got dumped by irresponsible owners when they got too big, and thus it is up to humans to remedy the situation. but encourging a slaughter of any species is wrong IMHO, regardless of what that animal is doing.

instead - why not set up a "preserve" for the snakes? section off a parcel of land, wall it up or whatever, stock it with rodents and other food supplies, and let nature be nature? any snakes found outside the area are rounded up, and placed inside the enclosure. it would have to be a respectable size, granted but this would seem to be the most humane thing to do. - and the funny thing about predators and prey... the predator count usually stops at a certain level. the animals wont just keep breeding and eating their food supplies dry, because thats not how nature works. initially, there might be some deaths in the snake population, but this seems a little more humane, allowing the snake population to effectivly control and deal with itself, and not be targeted by bloodthirsty rednecks with shotguns looking for a fast 20$.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Because the snakes won't stay in that area. They will quickly over populate that area and escape looking to expand. Containing a snake isn't as easy as containing a gator (which isn't too easy to begin with). They can fit through much smaller holes and climb various things looking for an escape.

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

As much as I may not agree with killing snakes that have done nothing except what they were born to do, I can see the need. I think if there is an issue to take up on snake killling it's the Texas rattle snake round ups. Now there's something really wrong with destroying a native population for nothing more then ignorance and money!

7. Rayban

Rayban Elite Member

perhaps containing them in a single area may be more trouble then its worth.... but there MUST be something else available as an option then flat out killing them. any kind of "animal hunt" is just plain wrong... and that includes the canadian seal hunts as well. Maybe the US should spend less money on guns and invading other people and focus on a more ethical and humane way of dealing with invasive or dangerous species.

8. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member

Give the responsibility to the fed gov and you will see the laws strengthened and exotics banned. This country is on a downward spiral money wise and will get worse before we see any upward movement. There is no humane solution to the problem in the Everglades. All we can hope is that the snakes are killed humanely. A sad situation but it's been brought on by people buying what they can't handle. So if anyone is to blame it's breeders who are too money hungry to ensure that the person they are selling to is in fact capable of the care needed for the animals. Is there an answer to this doubtful. I'm not sure if there is a way to regulate or ensure that people are prepared to care for these animals.