This Disappears When Logged In

Looking to Get a Python, Which Should I Go With?

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by methos75, Jul 14, 2011.

1. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

I am looking at Balls, Bloods, and Carpets, honestly which should I go with, is there something better than these three? Looking for something that is eye catching and stays under 8 feet. What route should I go?

2. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

If you want a python the bloods are pretty but so are the green trees I dont believe they get very large.

3. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

I wouldn't get a blood, cause they don't have the best temperaments, but would instead go with one of the many morphs of ball pythons or else a IJ or jungle carpet, but that's just my opinion. My best advice would be to get whatever suits your fancy.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I like the look of the Woma Python, love the pattern and you don't see too many of them!

5. stormdas

stormdas Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with a ball, temperament is good and 6 ft max.
    Carpets can be nippy when young and 8 ft is their max.
    Childrens pythons are just like balls with 6 ft max length.
    Just depends what you want to spend and what catches your eye.

6. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

If you've got the money, I would go with one of the Ball Morphs that catches your eye.....There are so many beautiful ones out there,.. and the temperament of the Balls is one of the best.

7. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Ever heard of a Bismark Ringed Python? Tom Keogan is one of the only breeders in the US, and he has exceptional quality ringed pythons. They look like a black and orange candy cane, and they are extremely irridescent. High humidity, 80 degrees hot spot at all times, lots of coco husk for burrowing. They are actually very similar in care, size, and behavior to rainbow boas. I was looking at getting one for a long time, but I got Jacket instead, and I am very happy with him :)

8. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

I am thinking I will get a Blood Python, they seem to get a bit larger than balls but still manageable and I have seen a few that catch my eyes. The fact that Balls are so Docile is actually a bit of a Negative in my book, I really don't handle my Reptiles except at cleaning time so a Snake that is a bit aggressive and ready to strike at Prey is what I am looking for. I could of course be wrong on Balls being so Docile and not getting as Big as Bloods, info as general is spotty at best online

9. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Balls are often difficult eaters, especially males will go on fasts for months (6+) -- Just look at how many "My BP won't eat!" threads there are on this site!!

Personally I keep Chondropythons (GTPs) and love them. If you are looking for a more "look/don't handle much" snake, these are not only beautiful, but you will want to keep warm body parts far away at night!

10. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

I have looked at the Chondros and those are an open option, but I sorta of want to get experience with something a bit easier to maintain before getting one.

11. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

If you get (or build) the right type of enclosure (NOT a tank with screen lid!) chondros are not difficult to maintain. The initial investment in quality housing, heat panels and thermostats can be costly, but essential.
    I honestly don't think that experience owning a completely different type of python will be of much use in keeping chondros or any other species for that matter. (My husband never owned a single pet in his life till he bought his first chondro, but he did the research and bought the best equipment he could find. -- We now have 7 adult GTPs and had a 100% hatch rate of our first clutch of 12 babies.)

My advice:
    Find the snake you REALLY find fascinating and beautiful: get good books, save money for the best equipment and housing possible, and find a quality breeder -- that's the best way to avoid frustration and problems: no matter what animal you get!

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would advise against the bloods.
    Not only are they notoriously bad tempered but they also have the endearing trait of hosing you down with liquid excrement! Yuck!

13. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Oh nice, that is something I have not read anywhere. Anyway, what do people think of the Boamaster line of cages, specifically one like this one.

4ft reg

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not too bad for 140 dollars, but you also have to figure in shipping.
    My main reservation is that its melamine. That means its heavy, and if the outer layer is damaged and moisture gets too it, it will quickly deteriorate.

And you could build the same thing for about half that much.

15. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

I suck it building well, anything LOL