This Disappears When Logged In

Looking to Get a Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by thaboi, Mar 12, 2012.

1. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

OK so ive done some research so far and read some of other peoples older post i know they require high humidity and low temps i know what kind of substrate to use only real thing im wondering is lighting actual temps to have and actual humidity. Also are undertank heaters ok to use with them or is that a big no.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Mine seems to do amazingly with humidity above 75% (I do let it fall periodically for a day or two, so the substrate can be stirred and dried, to prevent molding. I use coco fiber) Ambient temps no higher than 80ºF, Basking no higher than 90ºF.

I have a homemade UTH consisting of flexwatt attached to the bottom of a ceramic tile, and hooked up to a dial with which I adjust the temperature. I have yet to see her use it, other than as a toilet. You can use a UTH, but be sure you have some means of regulating the heat output, as some kinds can get WAY too hot, and cause serious thermal burns. You can achieve totally adequate temperatures without one though, using regular household lightbulbs.

3. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

ok thank you very much

4. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

ok so i got a humidifier so that i could keep humidity high dont know if thats a good thing or not havent read anything about using them then again i haven read not to use them i covered the top of the tank with tin foil too keep humidity high dont have snake yet just getting everything ready and set. humidifier seems to be working good fogs the whole place but im not sure if thats a good thing or not. i also got a 100w basking bulb iunno if that might be too much wattage to keep the temps that the snake needs let me know what you think

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

you need to have a digital thermormeter and hygrometer in there to keep track of your temps and humidity. Humidifier is probably fine, as long as it isn't running all the time, and is inaccessible to your snake. You don't want your snake on or in the humidifier, because many have a serious risk of causing burns.

My BRB cage generally stays warm enough with less than 100 watts (40-60 usually) but it is also in a room that is heated independently of the rest of the house, and maintains temps in the mid 70s.

Be aware that you can OVER humidify the enclosure. your snake should have at least one 'dry' area they can utilize, otherwise, you run the risk of fungal skin infections. I spray all of my enclosure, but do not use a humidifier. I simply do not spray into the hides, so the substrate there stays drier than the rest of the cage.