This Disappears When Logged In

Looking for Someone to Take in a Large Burmese

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by DustinQ, Sep 14, 2012.

1. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

Recieved yet another call today to take in a Burmese Python. Already have two and would rather not take in a third. Very little/questionable info. (I'm told it's male can't confirm or deny at this point) Claims it to be 15ft and 300lbs I have no doubt in it's length but seeing as it hasn't been handled or even approached in the last 2 months may be wrong on that too.
    Old friend from high school is re-laying info to me. His neighbor's son left for college and the neighbor is terrified of feeding it. It's being housed in a room that is baren except for a bed. 2 doors, one on either side. Apparently you have to have someone tapping one door to get the snake's attention while someone else grabs the water bowl and drops food in.
    I'll try to get more info and check it out for myself. Will post again after I do. I've checked with our local zoo's, my vet and tapped out all of my other known contact's. Seems everyone is at full capacity right now.
    Please only respond if you are serious, legal for you to keep and knowlegde and experience with LARGE snakes

P.s I'm willing to drive within 100 miles to meet/deliver. (PA MD WV VA NJ DE) Would demand to see pictures of the enclosure you plan on housing it in and ask that you fill out an adoption form from East Coast Exotic Animal Rescue. Home - East Coast Exotic Animal Rescue We would not harrass you or ask for donations/or adoption fee. The form's sole purpose is to help us keep track of animal's well-being. I typically
    call/e-mail twice a year to see how the animal you adopt is doing

Thank You :)

2. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

Also been told there is no extra heat source in the room other than base board heater which is only turned on in winter. seems quite a feat to me that this snake could grow so large in poor conditions

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

300 lbs seems a bit heavy to me:confused:

4. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

My first thought too. hence "questionable info". Seems to me the person is just ill-informed/ignorant and is stuck with his son's problem. I just would like to try my best to find a suitable home for this sanke as soon as possible. For selfish reasons as well, because if a problem rises with him having an accident or giving to someone locally who also has no experience it may cause ordinances/bans locally that would force me to get rid of mine as well.

5. mld

Good luck, hope you find someone with experience who can take him!

6. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Ummm, may want to check the laws...I believe it may be illegal to transport burms and other reptiles of concern out of your home state. Not 100% sure, but I seem to recall something along those lines-- definitely don't want to bring any unwanted attention to herpetoculture. If you were in NC, I would gladly take him. ;)

7. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

would you really be willing to take it? I might be able to come past on my way to visit friends and family in florida I have a USDA and DNR permit for educational purposes that allows me to transport across state lines.

8. David McConley

My wife and I are going to discuss it today...I will let you know. :)

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Don't tell her! Just see if she notices the extra cage!

10. mld

His will be in the best hands with David, I hope it works out.

11. David McConley

Take it easy on the build-up Michele...my SUPER cape is at the cleaners! :D. My wife would definitely notice the extra cage, especially if the inhabitant was 15 feet long and weighed 300 pounds!!!! ;). I am still working on getting approval from my beautiful, long-suffering wife.

12. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

hope you get it! btw, out of curiosity, what does a 15-foot burm usually weigh? never seen one above 8 feet, so i'm curious :p

13. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

Both of mine are somewhere between 12-14ft (hard to get them to stretch out straght) one weighs about 70lbs and the other one closer to 90. My vet told me they were both obese lol can't imagine what he's say if this thing really is 300lbs. Haven't seen it myself yet. Still third party interaction at this point. (words beng exchanged over facebook through an old buddy from hiighschool)

14. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

whoa, i wonder how he got the 300 pound estimate.... be wary, i've seen people say some crazy stupid stuff to sell an animal...

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Its probably closer to 70-80 pounds they say 300 because it looks huge and they are terrified of it.

16. David McConley

Couple of quick questions. I know you don't have a clue yet, but if you had a bit of a clue, I could try to get an enclosure ready for him/her. Finally, I need to let you know that I need to know when you are headed down this way. Is there a charge for him? Let me know as soon as possible.

17. David McConley

Any more information yet?

18. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

Nope sorry David nothing yet. Still waiting on an ok for me to come over and check the snake out. I don't have a trip to florida planned yet but I will probably going down around thanksgiving or sometime after christmas to see my uncle and grandparent's if I am able to get this snake from him. I could keep it temporarily I have enclosures that are sitting empty at the moment but I plan on putting a black throat monitor in the big one. I just don't want it to be permanent. I have no intention to breed mine but if I ever decided to I already have a male and a female and no need or desire to take on another 15-20 year commitment

19. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

I don't know, but I don't think they were asking for money. If he is I may just tip of the spca and go with them to take it away from him

20. David McConley

That's fine Dustin. Just let me know as soon as you can. I need to have another enclosure made to house a formidible beast like that one. As to breeding...I really don't see me breeding Burms, but who knows--if the python ban ever gets lifted, it could be a possibility. Just keep me posted. Also, I will be PM'ing you tonight or tomorrow.