This Disappears When Logged In

Looking for Small Turtle Help

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Qwerty3159, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Well after an long time away, Im back and would like some small turtle information. I've looked into spotteds, but they're way too pricey... I'm also looking into a mud or musk turtle, but I keep getting varying info on size. Anything would be helpful :p

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Spots aren't that expensive if you get them at shows.

Mud and musk turtles are very hardy, very small, and very adorable. Females tend to be larger, so if sexed rturtles are an option, go for males.

Stinkpot turtles (sternotherus odoratus) stay pretty tiny.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

What she said if you want a water turtle.
    Males generally tend to be the smaller out of all turtle species.

But the smallest turtles I know of are ornate box turtles! They are a mostly land species and would need an area of about 4x4 but they sure are cute! See: image.jpg this is one of my baby turtles and they only get about twice this size. See here is my adult: image.jpg image.jpg

4. Try a red-cheeked mud turtle! Mine is full grown at 5 in :). He wants to bite me so bad but he's adorable and has pretty markings. Easy to care for, too!

5. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

nope musk are the smallest aquatics. 4inch max I believe. red eared sliders not so much. can get up to 10-12 inches in length. All turtles are cute!! lol. sliders love to bite. plain and simple. want me to show you the scars? lol. Mine did really well for about 7-8 years then I started feeding her live food. BIG MISTAKE. yes they need more protein when they are little but it doesn't have to be live. Its fun to watch them chase fish... but they get away and then you are feeding fish too. lol. I had plenty of crickets mealies and roaches so I thought.. what the heck... Now I cant get my hand in the tank without her attacking me. also don't let people tease with their fingers on the outside to watch them try and bite them thru the glass. that reinforces finger biting too. I love my RES she lives in a 100g tank in my kitchen. we used to play games during maintenance but now I don't even want her in there when I do floor cleans. lol. They are peaceful and serene to watch but not much for cuddling. I do like that I can miss a few days of feeding to go camping and what not though. eventually she WILL have to eat those fish in her tank. lol
    for non water species red cheek or red toed I think were smallest. I prefer my semi aquatic RES. even if she cant hold on to my shoulder and go for a walk. she does however love playing in mud puddles when its monsoon time . Its a hoot to watch her!