This Disappears When Logged In

Looking for Lizard for 55 Gallon Tank?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Omelete, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Omelete

Omelete Member

I was going to buy 2 green amieva ,but the dealer said they had broken tails so he did not ship them. I am now looking around for somthing else to get. I would prefer a lizard since I already have a african bull frog, and 4 tiger salamders.

I bought 4 ornate curly tailed lizards to kinda introduce myself to lizards ,and I hated them. I had them for a while ,and I almost never saw them! They stayred burrowed 90% of the time ,and when they did come out they were nothing spectaculer :(. Anyway I had 0 problems keeping them alive ,and ended up selling them so in short I have had lizards before.

The tank is already set up and ready for amievas with coconut fiber (I think thats what it was im near postitive), many hiding spots , and 3 ground cover type plants. Its a 55 long ,and it would be better for a ground lizard. The substrate is deep enough to dig in aswell if that matters. The cage has a pretty big water bowl that can be swapped for a even larger or smaller one. I can actully redo the whole tank ,but would rather not.

Now here is what I would like in a lizard:
    Impressive in one way or another (size color habits ect. not looking for another 7 inch, plane in everway lizard)
    I would prefer to be able to keep a pair or more if not though thats still ok.
    Not bank breaking! $100 is the most I want to spend on buying these lizards.
    A link to were I can buy said lizard would be nice ,but not needed.
    I would like it if you could provide the lizards max size ,and if they are easy to breed.

It does not have to be a lizard either ,but I would prefer a lizard.

Thanks for the help!

2. crondiesel

crondiesel Banned User

Bearded dragon
    check out LLLreptile . com they have tons and they are super cute easy to care for. do your research though ask on the fourm alot of people would teach you how to care for them properly

3. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Collard lizards. You can keep a pair in a 55 gallon. Their care is similar to that of a bearded dragon's, but they're much more active and smaller than a bearded. Some people can tame them up quite well to be very handleable too.

Not sure where you could find them where you're from, but up here, they're quite easy to acquire and you could get a pair for less than $100.

Collared Lizard Caresheet (Crotaphytus collaris)

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

A bearded dragon actually wouldn't work in a 55 unless you want to upgrade as the 55s are too narrow. Plus you can only have 1 in that size enclosure. A rankins dragon would work fairly well and look like bearded dragons bt smaller however they are fairly expensive.
    I think you should look into skinks. Fire skinks have very pretty coloring and are fairly cheap, about $20, you could keep 2 in a 55. Here is the caresheet Fire Skink Caresheet (Riopa fernandi)
    Available at most reptile sites.
    Crocodile skinks are semi aquatic and very eye catching with the bright eyes and crocodilian looks, slightly more expensive and not as easily available. Caresheet: Orange-Eyed Crocodile Skink Care Sheet
    Otherwise emerald swifts are brightly colored, can have multiple, 3+ in the 55, have live births, rather active, semi arboreal so you would want to add things to climb, and fairly cheap at about $35 I think. Caresheet: Emerald Swift Caresheet (Sceloporus malachiticus)
    On here they are $12.99 each or $24 a pair: Other Lizards
    Again choose the gender but they are $25 each: Emerald Swift for Sale

5. Omelete

Omelete Member

My tank is already set up with a rain forest type theme ,and I would rather not throw out the plants and substrate. Plus I am not a fan of beared dragons , it seems like everone owned one at one point or another. I don't like leaperd geckos for the same reason , I don't think either lizard is that cool to begin with.

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Emeral swift would probably be the best bet then.

7. scalesntails

scalesntails Member

Get a pair of senegal chameleons, just dont get two males. Any other chameleons would fight but these guys can live in a group. And they arent very exspensive. You should just find a online store and see what you want.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Don't chameleons need all screen enclosures?

9. scalesntails

scalesntails Member

They dont NEED one lol

I mean unless he wants to go out and buy a panther chameleon. They NEED good ventalation.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So I could put a Pygmy chameleon in a glass 12x12x18 enclosure? Even though the top is the only screen?

11. scalesntails

scalesntails Member

Only bigger species of chameleons need ventalation and good airflow. Also they need high humidity and if they are exposed to low humidity for a long period of timeit can give them a respiratory infection.

And screen enclosures dont really hold in alot of humidity.

One reason why people say you shouldnt keep them in glass is because chameleons stress easily and their reflection can cause them to stress.

12. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

Ehhh I wouldn't risk putting a chameleon in a glass enclosure.

13. crondiesel

crondiesel Banned User

ah ok i see have you ever looked at a Knight anole?

14. scalesntails

scalesntails Member

i cant argue with that theres always going to be someone who disagrees. But anyways i hope you find something cool to put in there.

15. Omelete

Omelete Member

Yes actully I like them a whole lot! My tank is a 55 long though so I did not think they would be ok in it.

Im still looking but so far I really like the fire skink,knight anole, legless lizard,and blue tongued skinks(To pricey although I did find a wc one for 90). I have looked at some geckos aswell ,but they all stay to small.

16. Omelete

Omelete Member

Any one have some more thoughts?

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

FIRE SKINK! They are pretty! But can be shy.