This Disappears When Logged In

Looking for Lep's Please Read.

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by morphed, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morphed

morphed Member

While I may be new to the site and I feel kinda bad having this be my first post, I have room for a few leopard geckos. I recently lost both my 14 and 17 year old buddies to old age. I have a 29l setup for them that was recently cleaned. I'm located in Naperville, IL and will gladly pay overnight 10am shipping on out of state geckos. It normaly ranges from $45-$60. I'll even mail you everything you need to ship them safe. :)

P.S. I'v been asked why I dont just go buy a pair from the pet store. I'm more into giving homes to pets that NEED a home. Please dont email me with other herps for adoption as I really cannot care for anything that needs more room than I have to give.

Thank you :)
    Jon Gaudio

2. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

I think it's great that you want to adopt some instead of buying ones from a pet store.

I'd recommend checking with any local reptile rescues in the area first. You could also put a classified in the paper explaining that you're willing to adopt an unwanted leo. I've found even just letting people know that you like them will get you offers of free leos when a person's kid gets tired of them.

Anyway, welcome to HerpCenter!

3. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

Kudos to you for looking to adopt!:)
    Welcome to HC, and I am sorry for your loss.
    I hope that you can find new buddies to love soon.

4. venus

venus Founding Member

Try checking out craigslist.com, they often have reptiles for sale or adoption. Also petfinder.com.

5. morphed

morphed Member

Thanks for the warm welcomes. Today I was gifted with 3 young morphs from a local mother. I now have two ghost morphs and a blizzard. I'll let you all know when the breeding begins!

6. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Breeding? I thought that the reason you wanted rescues was so that Leo's who needed a home could get one. By breeding more, aren't you just contributing to the problem of there being more unwanted reptiles out there than there are homes for them?

I'm not saying that I am against breeding, it just seems odd that you would insist on a rescue and then want to breed them.

7. morphed

morphed Member

True, but i already have good homes for the offspring. Some friends thought it would be a neat idea to breed them considering they are very neat morphs.

8. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I can tell you that most rescues will not adopt to you if you plan to breed their animals.

The reason for that is that most animals that come into rescues were in poor body health. It takes quite some time to get them adoptable. Their bodies cannot handle the breeding after the ordeals some of them have been through.

9. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have to admit, this all looks very shady. You basically want free animals so you can breed them? Since most breeders sell their offspring, it would appear you want free animals so you can then turn a profit off of their offspring.

Based on what you have posted in this thread, I would advise users NOT to send you any animals.

10. morphed

morphed Member

WOW, I didnt expect this type of reaction from anyone! I'm not breeding these for ANY type of profit and if you were to read my orginal post I offered to pay 3x what a pet store would charge for a pair just to have them shipped. I dont see how I'm looking for free handouts that way and personaly after being attacked like this I dont think I'll be back to this fourm anytime soon.

11. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I just reread every post in this thread and no one attacked you at all. There were some very valid points made though from the posts.

When you first posted this thread, I read it but didn't have any leopard geckos looking for homes so I didn't respond. I also thought your initial post was great.

After reading it again when you posted you had gotten some, and now are going to breed them, that paints a completely different picture.

As I stated in my response, this gives the impression that you are looking to acquire leopard geckos as breeding stock. It doesn't state that you ARE doing that, it states that this is the impression from what you have written. It is certainly the impression I got after having read how quickly you had determined you were going to breed the ones you just got.

Try reading this thread from a viewers point and not from your point, as the poster and see how it appears to you.

12. morphed

morphed Member

I was quick to jump the gun on this. I'm really not looking for any profit out of this, I have 3 people that asked me to breed them never once did I ask for any type of money nor did I offer offspring for sale. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but I'm looking for NO PROFIT out of these guys, just a new venture.

13. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

I've read the posts as well but as I have no leos at all, I had none to adopt out. I think many people have been concerned because many times, when you get adoptions from rescues or sometimes even pet stores, the animals are not in the best of health and therefore it's not really recommended to breed them because they are unhealthy. Breeding unhealthy animals is not safe for them. If you do still plan on breeding, I would get them all checked out by a certified herp vet to make sure they are free of parasites and other illnesses. Plus you'd want them to be the appropriate size and weight. Also waiting until they are settled into their environments so it doesn't further stress them out.

Nobody meant to sound like they were jumping down your throat or verbally attacking you. HC and its members take care to make sure those herp keepers in the community give their animals the very best care and do what's right for them. It's why we're here. Sometimes we may sound harsh but its because we care about the animals and want our members to realize that. :) Many members are very passionate about the care and well being of herps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.