This Disappears When Logged In

Looking for Dubia Roaches

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by patatepile, Feb 3, 2013.

1. patatepile

patatepile Member

Hello, I'm in Quebec city, Canada

anyone near me, with some males and a bunch of females available?

Willing to drive a bit...

Also, anyone who can ship me some, would be appreciated, as long as you make sure they survive the trip!

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Because roaches are illegal in Canada you won't find anyone that will ship you some.
    But one Canadian member suggested browsing Craigslist, kijiji etc. looking for reptile ads that state they are eating roaches. Then contact the seller and ask about buying roaches.

3. patatepile

patatepile Member

Thanks Thala,

while I do understand people could be scared of putting their address on a package of this type, as return address, I would not be scared to ship them without a return address and of course, I would pay cash at the post office for the shipping fees.

This way, IMO there would be no easy possibility for the authorities to find the seller...
    But anyways, thanks for the heads up on kijiji and Craigslist, I'll try my luck there also!

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Yea a lot of the breeders in Canada have gone underground and you have to know someone who knows someone to get them.

5. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

Lol, the black market of roaches. Out of curiosity, why are roaches illegal there? I understand Florida (similar climate as the dubia natural environment), but Canada is fairly cold - what's the risk?

6. kriminaal

Oh it's been long debated. The risk of infestation is pretty low.
    The flipside is the German cockroach which infests so very easily and is very common. Is not illegal to own.
    I guess they figure it's already a problem?? So what the %%$#.

7. Ripkabird98

Ripkabird98 Elite Member

I also can't help but think a cop isn't going to go "HOLY CRAP! A PACKAGE OF ILLEGAL ROACHES! WE HAVE TO NAIL THIS JERK!"

They have better things to do then catch Contraband insects.

8. kriminaal

Problem is it's a federal issue so you have a lot more to worry about than the cops.
    It's basically the Food and Drug Enforcement Agency and they have a lot of power.

Edit: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Reason roaches are illegal in Canada: the head law writer had one crawl on his face and is now deathly afraid of them!

10. kriminaal

I've heard of raids on reptile shows in Toronto back a few years. Seizing Madagascar hissers at the time as well as stick bugs which showed up in the hobby infrequently. There used to be a 'guy' advertising them that I had dealings with before. Last I tried to contact him he ignored me. But I knew he received my email. Could be they pinched him.

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You should develop a code! THen you could talk in secret!

12. kriminaal

LOL, it might come to that.

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Picture guy in a trenchcoat standing in a dark alley......
    "Hey buddy. Wanna buy some Flat Rock Crickets?"

14. kriminaal

The whole reptile industry used to be basically underground. Not really because it had to be, there just was no venue for it to be discussed.
    It's no far stretch with all the laws they are trying to pass that it will be again someday.
    So lets plan ahead and come up with 'code words' for everything now,lol

15. patatepile

patatepile Member

They are illegal because our government body that look into imports didn't establish the invasion risk. They have a very limited budget and roaches are not top priority.

Even if it would take 2 days to actually find out that there is no way a dubia could survive the winter anywhere but in a tropical green house WITH a heated floor, they just don't have the time / will to actually research it.

Just in case they go berserk and eat all the corn production one summer.

Same goes for those nasty stick insects, they are so bad they could eat potato fields and then learn to hibernate at - 40 celcius in an open field...

/end rant

16. patatepile

patatepile Member

Someone from the US should send me a box of Heatpads wrapped in Egg cartons, in a foam box and unfortunately fail to notice there were 2 males, 6 females and a couple of juvies in the packing...

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Code words: you: hey I was looking for something special for my girl for valentines day...
    Roach dealer: I have these lovely spotted oranges (dubias) that are just lovely when served with cinnamon sticks (stick bugs)

18. kriminaal

lol, you have thought about this a little tooo much.

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So you don't want the color coded cheat sheet? Darn...

20. patatepile

patatepile Member

okay, I'll try it differently...

hey I was looking for something special for my girl for valentines day...
    I was hoping someone could supply me with spotted oranges. If you do have some, please send me a PM so we can meet at the grocery store of your choice so I can test the quality of the said oranges and try to plant some seeds to grow my own orchard.