This Disappears When Logged In

Looking for a Rough Green Snake, Plants

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by Komododragon12, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

Hi everybody! I'm looking for 3 or 4 rough green snakes. 1 will be fine, but I'm custom making a large cage (18x18x30, LxWxH), and I'm planning to house a few. I won't be done for a while, just wondering if anyone's got any. I've looked at some online shops, but they're really expensive, and they have giant shipping rates. Captive bred is best, but wild caught are ok. Also, does anyone know good places for plants? Thanks!

2. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

3. Komododragon12

Thanks alot Jamesw!

4. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

No problem.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Do you have any experience with snakes?
    The reason I ask is the rough green snake is notoriously difficult to keep alive. They are quite shy and easily stressed. Even experienced keepers have difficulty with them.

6. Komododragon12

I am currently keeping a juvenile corn snake. I read in Good Snakekeeping by Philip Purser that rough green snakes are nearly perfect pets. I know what they eat, know what temps and humidity they need, and I am custom building a large cage (18x18x30, 40 gal.). I also have a variety of plants for the snake to hide in. The main reason I want one is because of what it eats, mainly because I have experience in cricket breeding, but also because if I'm ever gone my step-mom is willing to feed it (she hates rodents). Could you suggest another snake?

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you currently have a cornsnake, you already have to feed it mice.
    Rough greens are virtually all wild caught and at this time many places are listing them as protected due to people collecting them for the pet trade! They are quite finicky about their conditions.
    The only other beginners snake I can think of that would not require rodents are gartersnakes. You can feed them on insects and fish.

8. Komododragon12

Thanks. After a long time of thinking and posting forums, I've finally decided on a leopard gecko. Yeah, I went from green snake, to twin-spotted rat snake, then ball python, then western hognose, and finally leo.

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

At least you're not jumping into this, thinking thing out and making sure that everything is set up and running for at least a week! Keeping an eye on temperatures and adjusting it till its perfect is so important