This Disappears When Logged In

Look at them now!

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Bitis Gabonica, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

I just noticed that the "inverts" forum hasn't been resumed, so I had to post these pics here.. remember our little mantids, just a few weeks ago?.. well look at them now... :D

Attached Files:

2. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Those are so cool! Beautiful! :)

3. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Very very cool!
    What do they eat?

4. Bitis Gabonica

Thanks guys! :) Pretty cool little insects aint they! :D

Jem, they eat crickets mainly, but they are capable of eating an insect upto the same size as themselves! - next week they will be getting an adult locust each!! Now that will be cool to watch! - will try and get pics :)
    - the only thing is, they are pretty cruel.. they eat the food item backwards so the cricket is alive the whole time it is being eaten, to keep the food as fresh as possible! :eek:

5. venus

venus Founding Member

Pretty cool Rach, cant wait to see more pics, maybe some of them eating.

6. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Don't they eat their mate after the breed too?

Take lots of pics when they eat those locusts k? That will be cool!

7. Bitis Gabonica

Yes, females can eat the males after breeding - which apparently is the males apparently have two brains, one in the head and one in the body (so that when the female has bitten the head off the male during intercourse, he can finish his task :p ) - what a wierd species eh! :D

8. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

OMG just what we need!!! A male with TWO brains! LOL :p LMAO

9. Bitis Gabonica

LMAO!!! :D :p :D

Still doesn't equal one female brain though does it really?? :p

*Ducks to avoid the things being thrown by all the male members* :p

10. Chippy

Chippy Member

*Chucks the uneaten yellow bell pepper from his beardy*

11. venus

venus Founding Member

lol. Can i become a Mantid...I'll teach my man to talk back to me. :D

Dont worry Rach, I got your back.. ;)

12. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

I called all the pet stores in my area and they never have had any mantids in :( . The owner of the pet store I frequent did say that she would see if she could get me a pair through her T dealer.

Even though I am jealous it doesnt mean I cant do this *throws eggs across the atlantic* :p Venus your next, and alot closer :D

13. Bitis Gabonica

LOL! :D Girls, run for our lives!!!! :p

Chronic, hope you can find a mantid, we have an african green, and a flower mantid. Although their life spans are short (about a year), they are pretty cool little creatures.. as with Ts though, the female of the species is more deadly than the male!

Watch out guys! :D :p

14. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

*throws random items in the general direction of Rachel*

lol, they're really pretty. The stores around here don't often carry mantids. There was a large female once at a store, but she was $70! She was an african green, just like yours. How much did you pay for your mantids anyway?

CF, try going to a garden store or flower shop and ask if they ever sell mantid oothecas. They'll often sell them as environmentally friendly pest control. They sell them in ND, but they die in the winter, so there's no non-native mantid population

15. Bitis Gabonica

LOL *ducking and diving in all directions!* :D

Wow Matt, $70 for a mantid?!? - for an insect that only lives a year?! We paid £10 each for ours, but we got their little plastic tanks with them - i think that's about $18?

:)

16. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Matt, good idea! :)

I know the local garden centers sell springtail cultures, so they may very well have mantids.

17. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

mantid oothecas <<<< What does this mean? Eggs?

18. Bitis Gabonica

Yes. There are always hundreds being sold on the UK sites,. you all need to move here! :D

19. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Jem- The ootheca is like an egg case. Mantids lay hundreds of eggs in this foamy block or glob. Then the foam dries and hardens to the branch its on.

CF- Yeah, the oothecas are pretty easy to hatch, and you'll wind up with 100-300 or so baby mantids too! You can order pinhead crix for them, and if you don't want that many mantids, you can let them start to eat each other too. If you keep enough of them well fed, you'll wind up with a lot of mantids and you could make some money by selling all but a breeding pair or two. lol, that was my plan once, but then my mom accidentally killed them all when I was away for 3 days :( Its only about $7 for a pair of oothecas at the store I bought mine at. Keep in mind though, you won't find any big african greens or orchid mantids at a garden shop though ;)

20. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

those are so neat. Now i wanna get some....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.