This Disappears When Logged In

Long Tail & Hog Island Boas

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by Kernel, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

I was just wandering if any of you guys have had any personal experience with either of the 2, cause I might try to get one or the other at the ETHS expo in October.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I work for a guy who owns a true hog island boa, they are very hard to come by, but truly gorgeous!

3. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

What do you mean by true hog island boa and do you have any experience with them or the long tails?

4. mld

No I do not own any, I just work for a breeder! But from what he has told me they are hard to find a true hog island boa, there are no longer any wild ones left!

5. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

I still don't know what you mean by true hog island boa?

6. mld

This is from the caresheet;
    This stunningly beautiful snake, which once commonly inhabited tropical rainforests, is sadly now believed to be extinct in the wild, and has not been seen on Hogg Island since the mid 1980s. Worryingly, this unique serpent is now also becoming rare in captivity, and responsible breeding and proper care is essential to its survival.

A lot of breeder are crossing them with other boas!

7. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

OK, I understand now. Thanks!

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The problem is that many breeders got the hog island boa and rather than shelling out the money to get two, crossed them with common boas, muddying the blood lines.

9. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Thanks, but I still need info on long tails before I can make up my mind on which one to get.