This Disappears When Logged In

Long Post, I Want a Boa!

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by Flint, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Hey All!!

As stated, this will be a lengthy post as I have a few questions regarding a few different boa subspecies. I will be building a few new cages in the next few months (5 cages in 2 months to be exact) and one of them will be a 6x3x2 cage for a large boa! I'm rather excited, I've wanted a boa for a long time. And this will probably be my only large snake for a very long time. I originally was planning on a yellow anaconda, but I really want an extremely docile and trustworthy snake that I can confidently take to my preschool class and give to models at my dads photography studio. And honestly I'm not really ready for a conda.

So here's what I'm looking for, I want a large boa (I'm hoping for the 10ft range) with mostly blacks and whites in colloration. Boa c. Longicauda is the perfect colloration, I am in love with those boas. But they are somewhat of a dwarf species and stay around 6-7 ft. Next I looked at anery motley BCI's. They can be rather gorgeous as well, but I'm not sure where an adult female would be size wise. I'm not going to power feed, I would just like something that will attain a large and healthy size. So my research led me to argentine boas, BCO. They are supposedly the largest boa subspecies, and can be found in mostly black colloration. Their pattern is not very pronounced, and I would prefer a striking high contrast pattern, but I think I would be happy with a BCO. In a perfect world, I would have a 10ft BCL with high black/white contrast lol. (Ok let's be honest, in a perfect world I would have a breeding pair or Boelen's Pythons, but that's a different story)

Also I have a question regarding feeding. I have read that feeding rabbits and guinea pigs as soon as possible will result it massive growth. So instead of medium rats, I could start ordering baby rabbits and stick with rabbits for the life of the snake. My question is, is that akin to power feeding? Should rabbits be reserved for snakes that are too large for the largest rats? Even if I maintain a healthy feeding schedule and proper temps and excersize time out of the cage, are rabbits too fatty for a snake that would be happy with rats?

That's for reading all this guys!! Ill post a few pics of the boas and collorations I'm talking about later, I'm on my phone right now and I don't know that I can do all that from here lol.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

The Argentine Boa's (Boa constrictor occidentalis) are gorgeous! Are they hard to find?

3. Flint

Flint Elite Member

I've found a few high end breeders online, as well as a number of good looking babies on kingsnake.com. They are in the 150-200 dollar range, not bad at all!

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You got bit by the Boelen Bug too, huh? Not many people having success breeding them. My vet knows a guy who imports them, and swears he knows the secret....

I don't see why a large enough boa shouldn't eat rabbits and guinea pigs if they can handle it. Our big girl interchangeably eats the biggest rats RodentPro stocks, as well as some of the smaller rabbits - she is outgrowing the rats though. She has been doing so for about 2.5 years (she is only 4 years old.)

Keep us posted with the construction, and the new snake, when you get it. Sometimes, you can pick up some pretty neat unproven morphs at shows for a real bargain (because nobody knows what to do with it, or if the trait is inheritable.)

5. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Ah yes I am waiting until the june show here. If I don't find anything I like ill be ordering online. And yes I will be posting lots of pics once I get started on construction. Just waiting for a paycheck so I can buy materials lol

6. HERPies

HERPies Elite Member

Anery motley female will be in the same 6-8 foot range as they are a bci. They will be more pricey, but I'm a HUGE motley fan (i just picked up a jungle motley as well as my perfect pattern motley) the argentine is the largest of the boa family. Bci's will vary in size however. I have seen some that are 9+ feet, as well as some that are only 5 as females. It will depend on genetics, but wil most likely sick to the common footages. If you want black and white, I would say try and find an anery bci/bcc hybrid. The albinos are common on kingsnake that are 50% surinam, so maybe someone is working on them. There are also argentine/columbian crosses. They will give you the color, with more of a "normal"pattern, without sacrificing alot of size... Just a thought. i would push for the female anery motley though! What's a couple feet when it is soo sweet! As far as the feeding, it is only power feeding if you are over feeding. Meaning if its not too large an item, or too often. Guinea pigs are harder to digest and should be less frequent. Stick to rats til she is big enough to get into bunnies. If you are serious about an anery motley, josh ketchum is the manager of jeremy stone reptiles, (lives here in utah with me) and has a killer female anery mot on kingsnake right now. Email him and tell him josh painter referred you and he might give you a deal on her...

7. HERPies

HERPies Elite Member

I lied, its a male. if he doesn't have a female, he will in a few weeks. Just an fyi, jeremy and josh imported the motley and originated the morph, so nobody knows them like they do! Just a reason why I suggest them for any motley.

8. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Thanks for the tip HERPies! I will certainly contact him and get some information on his motleys. I'm not going to commit to any online breeder until I go to the show here in june and come back empty handed lol.

So I thought I would go ahead and post a few pics of exactly what I'm talking about since I'm on my computer now.

This is a snap shot of basically what I am most in love with color wise. High-white Boa c. Longicauda, Peruvian Long Tail Boa.

highwhitelongicauda.jpg
    By nocold at 2011-03-31

Again they only get to 6-7 feet and stay somewhat slender. I'm guessing it would end up similar to a brazilian rainbow just a bit thicker.

Here is another Longicauda, but with High-Black, and can you say HELLO BEAUTIFUL?

highblacklongicauda.jpg
    By nocold at 2011-03-31

I've only found one pic of a boa like this, and I can't find much information on how to acquire one that looks quite like this. However I will say if I don't end up adopting the ball python Fluffy, I will be getting a BCL to fill that cage space.

Now here is the anery motley BCI

anerymotleyboa.jpg
    By nocold at 2011-03-31

Beautiful snake, no doubt!! And I may end up going that route if there is a nice one at the expo that had large parents or if I find one I like from the breeder HERPies mentioned.

Here is a typical and gorgeous Argentine Boa, BCO.

bcodi.jpg
    By nocold at 2011-03-31

A gorgeous snake, I love the colors, and I know I would absolutely fall in love with whatever snake I end up getting. But I would like to see a cleaner pattern.

So then I found this, a motley argentine boa :D

motleyargentineboa.jpg
    By nocold at 2011-03-31

DO WANT. lol. Haven't found any for sale.. much less even ball park prices. I'm guessing thousands though.. *sigh*

Attached Files:

9. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

-drools-

Just give me one of each! TWO of the first one.

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Wow, they are just gorgeous! Tissue please, major drool worthy snakes :x