This Disappears When Logged In

Lobster Roaches!!

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by MadDog, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

I ordered a bulk of 50 lobster roaches about three days ago and they are finally here I have them set up in a 45 gallon plastic container and I am going to breed them so I won't have to buy crickets. They are said to be the easiest roach to breed and care for. Wish me luck. My parents and friends are so disgusted by them and I just keep telling them that they are invertebrates just like lady bugs.:) They don't seem to care about that little fact:p

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

The lobster roach can climb so make sure you put a 2-4 inch "strip" of vasaline around the top of the container

3. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Way ahead of you on that one.;) I couldn't imagine how my folks would react if they got loose.:eek:

4. Elle

Elle Member

I love inverts but roach freak me out lol:(
    Good luck with them though:)

5. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Just a quick update. I have probably about 30 or so pin-head size roaches and can't wait for more! Also I am planning on getting some madagascar hissing roaches as well.

6. savannahmon181

savannahmon181 Elite Member

Tell them they are tropical roches so they won't live out side there enclosure at leased where I am from!

7. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

And they can climb also :p

8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I breed the Dubias. They don't climb or fly. Working out great for me. I've never had one escape----that I know of.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If your wife is anything like mine,...You would know of it!;)

10. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

My dad thinks that they are going to infest his house. I told him that they wouldn't survive outside of the cage, but he seems to think that because they are cockroaches they can survive in any kind of enviroment. Neither of my parents can understand why I am supplying heat or anything. "They are roaches! Do they really need that stuff!?"

11. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Well they might survive, but without the elevated heat they won't breed.

12. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Well, one last update on the lobster roaches. I feed all of my colony to my mud turtle. I did the vaseline trick and they still climbed over it and I had some escape. I probably wasn't putting good vaseline on it as frequent as I should have. I am still getting madagascar hissers for pets though. or maybe the peppered roaches or something. I am also going to start a non climbing species colony back again.

13. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I think the Domino roaches are cool looking. I may get a small colony of those going as a "display" for when people I don't like much come over LMAO

14. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

The reaction you will get from people will be priceless; trust me. lol:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.