This Disappears When Logged In

Lizard Found Need Help!

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by LaurenRoxsU, Aug 26, 2011.

1. LaurenRoxsU

LaurenRoxsU Active Member

I found a lizard in my house. Naturally, I want to keep him but he's from outside I think. I found him in my bathroom and he's super tiny. Will he die in captivity or could I keep him and kind of tame him?

I really want a pic to show but I don't want to scare the poor thing. He's like the size of a baby Leopard Gecko really super small.

He has a blue tail (beautiful aqua) and yellow stripes from his head to his back. Any ideas? My dad is through the roof but if I find an animal or reptile, I'm like the adoptee queen...

2. justor

justor Elite Member

sounds like a blue tail skink. You could probably keep him alive in captivity given you have a proper setup for him. I would probably just let it go.. Who knows how long he's been in your house; he probably needs some sunshine.

3. LaurenRoxsU

I have a Leopard Gecko, so I have another light that I don't use AND a dome lamp and right now I put a soaked paper towel with water and he's drinking off it :) I kinda already named him Toby so....:( I'll be kinda sad to let him go but I definitely don't want him to die because of me. He was terrified when I first caught him and now he didn't freak when I sat down and talked to him. Now he's moving around and in his water dish! Idk, but it scared me to death for a second when I went in the bathroom to brush my teeth and then I was like, OH A LIZARD. And immediately tried to catch him lol
    Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

4. LaurenRoxsU

Yup that's what he is! I Googled it and he matches it perfect. How do I take care of one/what do I need?

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I would say its either a six-lined Racerunner or a five-lined skink; with six-lined Racerunners the males have blue on their tails and Juvenile five-lined skinks have a blue tail. Skink would have shorter legs and scales would be smooth.
    Tennessee Watchable Wildlife | Reptiles - LIZARDS

6. LaurenRoxsU

He looks very slick. But I haven't touched him because he freaks out completely when he's moved. I have him under a heat lamp right now but my furniture is too big for him...he's so little.

What else do I need to have for a...Skink? So is he a baby and he'll be huge? I don't know much about many breeds. Just what I've read in the past couple hrs.

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

please let him go. He will be happiest outside.

He needs UVB, probably a 20 - 40 gallon tank. A basking spot, and I'm not sure what else.

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

It may also be illegal to keep native species of reptiles, amphibians that are wild caught! This is pretty common in North America!

9. easttxchevygal

easttxchevygal Elite Member

I agree on setting him free. Just last week I walked in my house and there sat a baby five line on the arm of my chase lounge chair!!! So I immediately chased him around and finally dug him outta the chair. He was a cute little thing. Bout an inch and a half from snout to vent. As much as I wanted to add him to my collection I knew it best to let him go. Just because certain lizards are available on the pet market dosent mean its healthy to keep wild caught ones. He was born in the wild and so the wild is probably what is best for him. He may not adjust to captivity and die. And then you would feel bad that he died in your care.

10. LizardCrazyCelt

LizardCrazyCelt Elite Member

I would let him go, according to my bio professor either the five lined skink or blue tailed skink, I can't remember which, is considered endangered, and because they are hard to tell apart to the untrained eye, you can't be sure which it is you have, and endangered species are illegal to catch and keep. He will also be much better off being able to go about on his own outside where he can climb and run to his tiny heart's content :)

11. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

Lizard- What you are thinking of is the Blue Tailed MOLE Skink. It is a completely different skink that is ONLY found in two counties in Florida

12. LizardCrazyCelt

LizardCrazyCelt Elite Member

I live in Alabama, and my biology professor said there are two almost identical skinks in our area, the five lined and blue tailed, one of which is endangered. I didn't read it somewhere and get my information mixed up, I got this info directly from her. She specifically said it was in my area, because there was a guy talking about finding one and he asked her before class started about how to care for it, and she told us this and suggested he release it.