This Disappears When Logged In

Lizard Diet Questions

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by DearOldDad, Aug 21, 2017.

1. DearOldDad

DearOldDad Member

I recently caught a fence lizard and a blue tailed skink. They both appear to be fairly young; the fence is about the size of my pinky finger, the skink is a bit longer and more slender. I started feeding them pinhead crickets and mealworms. The folks at the pet store told me not to leave the uneaten crickets in the terrarium too long because they would hurt the lizards. Indeed, after only a few minutes the crickets begin to harass them if they aren't eaten. That's not as issue with the mealworms, but I've read that they aren't particularly nutritious as a staple in their diet. Can anyone offer some clarification on this? Thanks.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I used to work in a wholesale pet supply and we kept the crickets in a large bin. Occasionally a small lizard would escape and find its way to the crickets. In less than 24 hours it would be stripped to the bone. That said you can leave some veggies in the cage for the crickets to nibble on. But I wouldn't leave a lot of crickets in the enclosure.

AmityReptiles likes this.
  3. Cactus Jones

Cactus Jones New Member

You should read care sheets and articles on care for them, and here's a tip, never listen to someone who works at a pet store unless it's a trusted store like lllreptile, they have no idea what they're talking about. The blue tailed skink is a burrower so they will spend most of the time underground or above ground basking so crickets won't be a problem if you leave them in the cage. You should provide them with several inches of substrate for burrowing and don't expect to see it out often and don't worry if it doesn't eat for about a week since you just caught it and it's likely very stressed and scared. Other than that you should definitely do more research online.

4. DearOldDad

DearOldDad Member

I put some soil substrate down in their aquarium. It's plenty for them to burrow in. I just put a uvb light and a basking lamp in for them, so I'm hoping that'll liven them up a bit. They haven't been eating much the last couple days. The fence lizard is shedding his skin.

5. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Why exactly would them hiding or burrowing underground protect them from crickets? Crickets will follow them into burrows or anywhere else. Like Merlin mentioned, if you put out a source of food that will help, but there really is no purpose to leaving large amounts of crickets in the enclosure. It can only stress an animal that already isn't eating. If you have a tub that is 2.5 feet tall, you can house crickets in there without fear of them jumping out, and just feed your lizards what they need.

6. DearOldDad

DearOldDad Member

Now that I have the lights set up in there, the fence is eating a lot better. I actually released the skink. He stayed burrowed all the time and he wasn't eating.

7. DearOldDad

DearOldDad Member

I've been putting 1-2 crickets in there at a time. He usually eats one right away.

AmityReptiles and Merlin like this.
  8. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

I had the same thing happen with a blue tailed skink I caught. They're beautiful but not adapted to captivity very well. I released that one as well.

9. DearOldDad

DearOldDad Member

Fed him a couple of meal worms today. Seems to be doing well.